Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

160 deg t-stat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

there are benefits if you are running a mp112 with a 2.8 pulley and I had no loss in gas mileage
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
A few reasons I don't like 160 stats.......
  • Running that cold doesn't allow the oil to protect the motor as well as if it were up to proper temp. Believe it or not, oil lubricates best between 210-230 degrees
  • Warmer engines make more power when setup properly. Heat is the result of energy, energy is horsepower, the most heat you can generate keeping everything "stable" will result in the best possible combination of horsepower and engine longevity.
  • No damned heat! It's -10 below right now people. I like to try and keep war,
While theoretically this all makes sense, some things don't add up. Why does the factory offer auxilary oil coolers on their engines that run at 195* to 210*? I've been using 160* stats in my vehicles since the mid 80's, and I've never spun a bearing or blown an engine. Never had a problem with moisture in my engines either, as I'm sure that someone will mention that the cooler stat will not allow moisture to burn out of the oil, which is incorrect.

Heat doesn't=power, heat is a by-product, and for years engineers have been trying to find ways to keep things cooler.

No damned heat! It's -10 below right now people. I like to try and keep war,
Sorry Joe, but this statement is 100% incorrect. As I mentioned I've been using 160* stats for years, my engines usually run around 175*-185*, which is plenty warm for sub 0* days in New Jersey winters (sub zero days aren't typical, but I have experienced many of them). I've never had a problem with not enough heat, and always turn the blower down to the last setting and turn the **** off of full hot over to the cool side because I'm starting to sweat.

Actually, if you're concerned about heat, you should install a 160* stat, as your heat will come up sooner since the t-stat is opening sooner and allowing flow through the heater core sooner. This I know to be fact as I've experienced it with every vehicle that I've owned and removed the factory stat in lieu of a 160* stat. I loved how fast my MonteSS heated up, seemed like the cabin was warm before I had a chance to get from my house to the Dunkin Donuts that was less than 2 miles away...it was great.

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Not to mention worse gas mileage with little to no benefit
Not for me, as I mentioned in my earlier post, my gas mileage improved after I installed my 160* stat, although I did install efans at the same time which may have helped my fuel economy, and I had my tuner make the necessary adjustments to account for the 160* stat. In a stock vehicle that has not been tuned, fuel economy may be affected as the PCM will be in the cooler ECT tables, but hopefully if you're installing a 160* stat, you also have supporting mods and either the proper tuning software or a good tuner that can account for the cooler temps and tune accordingly.

On a stock vehicle without tuning, a 160* stat will have a negative affect, on one of our trucks that is being modded and whored up, a 160* stat is some cheap insurance IMO. As I said before, it depends on the application.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
While theoretically this all makes sense, some things don't add up. Why does the factory offer auxilary oil coolers on their engines that run at 195* to 210*? I've been using 160* stats in my vehicles since the mid 80's, and I've never spun a bearing or blown an engine. Never had a problem with moisture in my engines either, as I'm sure that someone will mention that the cooler stat will not allow moisture to burn out of the oil, which is incorrect.

Heat doesn't=power, heat is a by-product, and for years engineers have been trying to find ways to keep things cooler.

Sorry Joe, but this statement is 100% incorrect. As I mentioned I've been using 160* stats for years, my engines usually run around 175*-185*, which is plenty warm for sub 0* days in New Jersey winters (sub zero days aren't typical, but I have experienced many of them). I've never had a problem with not enough heat, and always turn the blower down to the last setting and turn the **** off of full hot over to the cool side because I'm starting to sweat.

Actually, if you're concerned about heat, you should install a 160* stat, as your heat will come up sooner since the t-stat is opening sooner and allowing flow through the heater core sooner. This I know to be fact as I've experienced it with every vehicle that I've owned and removed the factory stat in lieu of a 160* stat. I loved how fast my MonteSS heated up, seemed like the cabin was warm before I had a chance to get from my house to the Dunkin Donuts that was less than 2 miles away...it was great.

Not for me, as I mentioned in my earlier post, my gas mileage improved after I installed my 160* stat, although I did install efans at the same time which may have helped my fuel economy, and I had my tuner make the necessary adjustments to account for the 160* stat. In a stock vehicle that has not been tuned, fuel economy may be affected as the PCM will be in the cooler ECT tables, but hopefully if you're installing a 160* stat, you also have supporting mods and either the proper tuning software or a good tuner that can account for the cooler temps and tune accordingly.

On a stock vehicle without tuning, a 160* stat will have a negative affect, on one of our trucks that is being modded and whored up, a 160* stat is some cheap insurance IMO. As I said before, it depends on the application.
I'm at work so can't write a novel to respond to you but I want to argue this one later. Check back
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the heater core coolant lines are pre-thermostat on our trucks, so changing thermostat would have no effect on that if I am remembering right.

Also, I have read an article from one of the LS1 engineers explaining why a 160 deg thermostat is not beneficial to an LS platform engine. I don't know if I'll be able to find it, I'm almost positive it was posted on here on another thermostat discussion.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Maybe no benefit to a stock ls based engine. At some point a highly modified engine must benefit from cooler operating temps, I think it depends on your application wether it will bebefit you or not...every engine is different.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I heard it is the LS engine is engineered to run at the higher temps so I'm sticking with my stock stat.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm at my mom's with my daughter for the weekend, I'll do my best to try and check back . I've heard of that article and also heard that the LS engines are engineered to run at higher temps...honestly I'm kinda on the fence about it myself and considering running a stock stat in my LQ9....

convince me
Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a 160 and love it, but then again I am blown so my engine heats up faster than being N/A. For a daily driver with bolt-ons I would stick with the stocker. But, you really need your electric fans to be tuned for a 160 in order to see all the benfits of switching.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

C'mon Joe, I can only get on the computer for a minute at a time this weekend, I was expecting to log on and find a page worth of wisdom...I'm still not convinced All I have to go by is my own personal experience from running 160* t-stats in my own personal vehicles for the last 23 years (although those other vehicles weren't LS based engines that are fuel injected, which is why I'm wide open to suggestions )
Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently went from 160 to 180, my engine responded positively to the 180 stat. Just experiment and find what works best for you and your engine

Quick Reply: 160 deg t-stat?