Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

160 deg t-stat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I did some searching, and found some info over on LS1GTO.com that has me thinking and changing my tune a little bit. This info was posted by Evil-Twin, a retired GM engineer who worked on the LS1 cooling system. I believe that he is a member here also. When I do my LQ9, I'm going to try and keep my engine running somewhere between 180-200* as Evil-Twin suggests...right now I'm consistently at 175* with a 160* stat, 05 efans, and fans set to come on at 180* and off at 173*. I could easily maintain 180* by bumping the on and off temps up 5* I believe. With the stock stat and clutch fan I was consistently at 195-197, not sure what temp to shoot for...whatever will work with 10:5-1 compression and an agressive tune...maybe 195*? Anyway, here's the links:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1557142528-post8.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1554901004-post64.html

So if I'm disecting this correctly, you could run a 160* stat, run it a little cooler, and have the best of both worlds. How about a 180* stat and maintaining a nice middle of the road 190* coolant temp through cooling fan setting, instead of the factory 195-205 spread that I saw with my factory stat (although it was ususally 195-197).

I'm glad this thread came up, it really has me thinking and re-evaluating how I'm going to do my setup
Old 01-09-2010, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so pretty much what im gettin out of this is that 160* stats work but seem to be better suited for the supercharged guys cause they make so much heat and us n/a guys should stick with the stocker of maybe a 180* stat?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Well I did some searching, and found some info over on LS1GTO.com that has me thinking and changing my tune a little bit. This info was posted by Evil-Twin, a retired GM engineer who worked on the LS1 cooling system. I believe that he is a member here also. When I do my LQ9, I'm going to try and keep my engine running somewhere between 180-200* as Evil-Twin suggests...right now I'm consistently at 175* with a 160* stat, 05 efans, and fans set to come on at 180* and off at 173*. I could easily maintain 180* by bumping the on and off temps up 5* I believe. With the stock stat and clutch fan I was consistently at 195-197, not sure what temp to shoot for...whatever will work with 10:5-1 compression and an agressive tune...maybe 195*? Anyway, here's the links:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1557142528-post8.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1554901004-post64.html

So if I'm disecting this correctly, you could run a 160* stat, run it a little cooler, and have the best of both worlds. How about a 180* stat and maintaining a nice middle of the road 190* coolant temp through cooling fan setting, instead of the factory 195-205 spread that I saw with my factory stat (although it was ususally 195-197).

I'm glad this thread came up, it really has me thinking and re-evaluating how I'm going to do my setup
That was the stuff I had read, thank you for doing the research and finding it
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think a 160 tstat will have any benefit power wise,but i still like the idea of running the engine pretty cool with a FI setup
Old 01-09-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

So without me having to write a novel, you see that I was right In all seriousness, there's a reason that 195 stat is in there and with a proper cooling system you shouldn't have to worry about high temps. For my motor I have a 28" stock radiator with a clutch fan and I've never seen temps higher than 198 with the ac blaring and in rush hour traffic. These motors have extremely tight tolerances and there's a reason they want them to run hot. The performance will be better, the oil will protect better and overall longevity is improved.

As a side note for the FI guys, unless there's a reason you want cold oil for your turbo (which I don't understand nor know jack about), I still wouldn't see why you want to run cooler operating temps in a FI setup. COOL AIR YES but not cool water temps.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
So without me having to write a novel, you see that I was right In all seriousness, there's a reason that 195 stat is in there and with a proper cooling system you shouldn't have to worry about high temps. For my motor I have a 28" stock radiator with a clutch fan and I've never seen temps higher than 198 with the ac blaring and in rush hour traffic. These motors have extremely tight tolerances and there's a reason they want them to run hot. The performance will be better, the oil will protect better and overall longevity is improved.

As a side note for the FI guys, unless there's a reason you want cold oil for your turbo (which I don't understand nor know jack about), I still wouldn't see why you want to run cooler operating temps in a FI setup. COOL AIR YES but not cool water temps.
cooler = less detonation.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

BTW, on the Efan equipped trucks, GM doesn't have the fans coming on until 227 degrees.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
cooler = less detonation.
Only because your combination of tune-compression-camshaft is off from the operating temperature. A stock LS engine isn't going to detonate running at these temps
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
BTW, on the Efan equipped trucks, GM doesn't have the fans coming on until 227 degrees.
This is simply done for emissions. At idle they want it to run hot since there's no load on the engine, there's no risk of detonation. Within a few hundred feet of driving at these temps they'll easily settle down to 195 if the fan doesn't do it. Also 227 degrees may be hot to you, but by todays standards isn't hot by any means. Modern day oils can easily take this and with the composite intake manifolds they air and fuel doesn't get as heat soaked as it did during yesteryear with carbureted setups.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej

Yea man, you were right and I convinced myself Now I have to decide what temps to set my fans at when I go back to the stock stat when I do my LQ9.

Quick Reply: 160 deg t-stat?