Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2.5" or 3" for my Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" or 3" for my Custom Exhaust

I think I've decided, mainly for money issues, that I'm going to stick with only the custom mandrel bent exhaust with x-pipe and either 2 dynomax bullets or 2 magnaflow's instead of buying headers and new cats and the y-pipe and everything else to go along with it. I can get the custom exhaust pipes bend and cut, the x-pipe and installation for about $300. My question is, I have nothing done to the truck except a K&N FIPK 2 and a Superchips programmer for performance, so would 2.5" or 3" pipes benefit me more ??? I'd love to have some headers, shorty or long tubes for some bottom end torque and pulling the boat and 4-wheeler trailer but I just can't bring myself to pay for the headers and new cats and y-pipe and all. I want new custom exhaust, thats a definite, but the additional cost of headers I just can't do right now. maybe down the road. So, 2.5" or 3" ??? And any other suggestions for the mufflers or pipes. I'd like to keep the drone to a minimum inside the truck, so the dynomax bullets may not be a good option. What do ya'll think and know ??
Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no cats and a single 3 inch all the way out the back now. It seems to be ok but I still have yet to get my PCM for Nelson so my SES light is on. The muffler I have is a 14" Magnaflow, if you leave the cats on it will sound AWESOME!! I wanted mine just a little louder and wanted more power so I removed the cats. I really wished I would have just well enough alone because before I go to Scrapin the Coast this weekend I am going to have an 18" long glasspac/resonantor installed to get rid of some of the drone. From what I have read a 3 " will be plenty. Think about this.....a single 3" is enough for Fbodies with lots of mods so it should be plenty for your truck.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2KWhiteSS
...I'd love to have some headers, shorty or long tubes for some bottom end torque and pulling the boat and 4-wheeler trailer
Based on this, I'd suggest you stick with the 2.5" pipes.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'd love to have some headers, but thats not something thats going to happen soon, if ever on this truck. So I guess I'm looking at the best set up for the stock manifolds.

What part of NC you from TarheelZ ??
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody by chance know from experience which produces the better performance and sound?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you have zero reason to be going dual 3 inch pipes. with stock manifolds on a basically stock 5.3 im guessing 2.5 would be max if you really want to run true duals.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

What do you want? Better performance or better sound? I for one, would stay away from true duals altogether. Been there, done that, you don't need it. It you were planning on a supercharger or something then go for it. True duals will lose you power down low, some people think they sound better some don't. Sound is a personal thing and everyone has a different opinion on sound. With you, having a 4x4, big tires, the extra weight and towing, you need torque and low end. Why spend 300 + on true duals, when you can spend 100-150 throw a single 3" exhaust with a muffler on it and be done and make the truck more usable.

I have had 2 04 model 5.3's recently. the first a 2WD CC full bolt-ons, cam, ETC, Etc.....I was running LT's, cats, and 2.5" true duals. I wish I had gone back down to a single 3", I think I would have been high 13's with it. On my last truck, I actually went from stock to 2.5" true duals, then back to a single 3" with LT's, cats, bolt-ons no cam, and I very much gained back low end power and torque with the single 3". I have no dyno numbers to confirm, but it was definitely there.

Do yourself a favor and go with a single 3" with a good straight thru muffler and save the money for another mod.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the stock y-pipe with 2.5" (I think) pipe size into a Flowmaster 60 series, into duals out the back. The pipes are all bent to heck from the exhaust shop that first put it in and just bent the pipe instead of mandrel bending and keeping the pipe diameter true. I am looking a deep rumble (other than flowmaster) and minimized drone in the truck. I want about the sound level of a single dynomax bullet (like I had before) outside the truck but without that interior drone. That was one reason for wanting to get an x-pipe, because I have read that it reduces the interior drone significantly. I had a loudmouth resonator on my Camaro SS when it was stock, and I liked it, so I thought about one of those, but its interior drone will be as bad or worse than the dynomax bullet. I definitely need to keep the low end torque, I work in construction and haul a heavy item or two here and there and pull the boat down at the beach. I'd also heard that the x-pipe would help with low end torque, but I guess that was wrong. If shorty headers were worth the money for low end torque I'd fork up the money for those and a custom y-pipe. Long tubes are just about too expensive right now though.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Also debated Magnaflow's mufflers, just don't know what I'd want there.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2KWhiteSS
...What part of NC you from TarheelZ ??
I'm in Greensboro.

Quick Reply: 2.5" or 3" for my Custom Exhaust