Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2001 Hard to start??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Hard to start??

A friend I work with is to lazy to get on here and type himself. So I am trying to help him out. He is our engineer for goodness sakes

His truck has a starting issue on most every start (Cold or Warm).
You go to rotate the key and it will crank and crank with out starting. It takes 3+ tries to get it to fire.
I originally thought it might be a fuel pump and told him to put it in the on position for 5 seconds to build fuel pressure to see if that helped. Nope..

We are trying to figure this out. Any guesses?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Teching In

It's probably the fuel pump, mine does the same thing. Once he gets it fired, tell him to turn it off, then try it again. After i start mine it always fires fine if i turn it off. It's only after it sits for 30min+ that the pressure bleeds off and causes the hard start again.

Mine also wont just start it you leave the key on accy for a min, but if you let it sit there, then turn it off, then back to accy, etc a few times, it'll start easier. But just sitting in accy wont build the pressure up.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's 01 was getting hard to start. Put a new battery and problem solved. It might also be the fule filter.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

starter ,.......maybe. i dont know
Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crazy3gz
It's probably the fuel pump, mine does the same thing. Once he gets it fired, tell him to turn it off, then try it again. After i start mine it always fires fine if i turn it off. It's only after it sits for 30min+ that the pressure bleeds off and causes the hard start again.

Mine also wont just start it you leave the key on accy for a min, but if you let it sit there, then turn it off, then back to accy, etc a few times, it'll start easier. But just sitting in accy wont build the pressure up.
Well damn i couldn't have said it better myself. i have this exact same problem, and i';m almost positve its the fuel pump also, considering i have replaced the regulator and the filter, and it didin't change a thing. The dealer wants like 400 bucks for the pump... but i think i want to upgrade mine so i'm going a different route, but i haven't figured out what pump to get yet. if anyone has an idea on a pump to get i would like to know?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

My truck did the same thing, i just changed the fuel pressure regulator and that solved my problem.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Teching In

I've never heard of the regulator being a problem, that's interesting. I've seen more than a handful be the pump. I think GM even has a tsb or something out on it.

As for what pump, i've been looking around, and hate to say it, but i think the factory unit is probably going to be the best bet. Even though they obviously aren't too great. I'd shop around though, you can find one online or from a dealer over the internet for under $300.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 AM
On The Tree

My fuel pump would scream like a little girl when it was cold out.
I changed the fuel filter and it quit.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would first change the fuel pressure reg. A budy of mine had the same problem on his truck and this fixed it. You could als otake the vaccum line off of the reg and see if there is any gas in it, if there is then defenatley change it
Old 01-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

i doubt it's the battery. i have seen this a thousand times at the dealership. it's usually the regulator. we have piles and piles of them in the warranty scrap shed. but it could be the pump too.

e'fb

Quick Reply: 2001 Hard to start??