Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2001 Silverado - Motor Swap Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado - Motor Swap Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

I have been linguring around the site for a while now, reading up on all your guys' posts and learning everything I can, but I need some good solid advice. Let start by also adding, that I am still learning alot of the achronyms, so try not to confuse me to bad in your replies.

I have a 2001 Silverado:
- 4.3L
- 4l60E Auto (just rebuilt)
- 10 bolt rearend (just rebuilt with 373 gears)
- 2 Door

I am getting a little bored with the 4.3L and want to get some power under the hood. I have always wanted to do it, but now a friend is hassling me for my motor for a 4x4 build he is doing (hense motivating me).

I have been reading all kinds of threads (this site and others) about people swapping out the 4.3, 4.8 and 5.3L for 6.0L and 6.2L etc. And it just doesnt appeal to me that much at the molement. What I would really like to do is the swap to a nice carb motor. Here is where I would like some input and the questions start.

- I have done searches on here, but cant find any good threads on people doing a FI to Carb swap. Are there any on here that you could link me to?

- I have really been leaning towards a 383 to replace my current 4.3L. Are there any dis-advantages to this motor, or would you recommend a different motor for the swap? If so, I would like to obtain a solid 400 - 450 HP.

- I have done a fair amount of searching on the net for crate motor's, but was wondering if anyone highly recommends one company over the others?

- Will my current 4L60e bolt up to a carb motor? Long term plans include switching to a 700R4, but is it possible to use my current tranny for the time being?

Also, this truck is not my daily driver. Last year I only put on about 1500 km, so I am not overly concerned with mileage going down etc. The truck has a lot of sentimental value to me, and hot rodding it has always been a dream of mine.

Any help is appreciated guys
Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st & foremost, welcome to PT!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=414374

This sticky, I believe on 7th line, has some acronyms. Hope this helps.

I understand & can appreciate how an item can have sentimental value. Reason u don't see much info on here on swappin to a carb is...these Gen3/ Gen 4 are great motors. Why go old school? Is it the cost? Why go to a 700R4? The 60E is basiclly the same, but w/. electronics.

What kinda budget we talkin here?

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Your budget is ?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by fastnblu
1st & foremost, welcome to PT!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=414374

This sticky, I believe on 7th line, has some acronyms. Hope this helps.

I understand & can appreciate how an item can have sentimental value. Reason u don't see much info on here on swappin to a carb is...these Gen3/ Gen 4 are great motors. Why go old school? Is it the cost? Why go to a 700R4? The 60E is basiclly the same, but w/. electronics.

What kinda budget we talkin here?
Hey FastnBlu,

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose there are a few reasons for the carb swap over the injected.

- First off, the experience of those who will be helping me is mostly related to carb motors. Not to say a fuel injected swap would be impossible, its just when we talk about it, we always seem to lean towards carb.

- I know I can buy a turn key crate motor for around 5 - 6 thousand ready to go out of the box. If all goes as planned, we pull the 4.3 and computer and drop in the new motor.

- I started to look into the 6.0 L motors on ebay, and the prices seemed really reasonable. But there are a few draw backs...

I live in canada, and shipping would be pricey
The motors are used (compared to a new crate motor)
Dont know the history of the motor
Just seems more complicated than dropping in a crate

- Another aspect for me I suppose is the hotrod experience. I love the sound and enjoyment of a carb motor. Feels and sounds a little "rawer", and it has that nice nastalgic look (ie. valve covers and top mounted air cleaner). Maybe that sounds dumb, but I like the look of that over the injected 6.0 & 6.2L.

Anyways, thats kinda of my thought history on the crate motor. Not saying you cant shed some light on the injected stuff for me, but thats where my head is at now.

Here is a youtube link to a guy who did a similar swap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs77Udu3bns
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM

Total budget would be around 7500 - 9000.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can do a LOT with that budget.

1 member here (04silvermykk I believe) converted his 4.3L to a carbed 355 vortec. He has a detailed write up on it if I remember correctly. However, I would choose the 5.3/6.0 route. You can still do those carbed too.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pancake81
I suppose there are a few reasons for the carb swap over the injected.

- First off, the experience of those who will be helping me is mostly related to carb motors. Not to say a fuel injected swap would be impossible, its just when we talk about it, we always seem to lean towards carb.

- I know I can buy a turn key crate motor for around 5 - 6 thousand ready to go out of the box. If all goes as planned, we pull the 4.3 and computer and drop in the new motor.

- I started to look into the 6.0 L motors on ebay, and the prices seemed really reasonable. But there are a few draw backs...

I live in canada, and shipping would be pricey
The motors are used (compared to a new crate motor)
Dont know the history of the motor
Just seems more complicated than dropping in a crate

- Another aspect for me I suppose is the hotrod experience. I love the sound and enjoyment of a carb motor. Feels and sounds a little "rawer", and it has that nice nostalgic look (ie. valve covers and top mounted air cleaner). Maybe that sounds dumb, but I like the look of that over the injected 6.0 & 6.2L.

Here is a youtube link to a guy who did a similar swap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs77Udu3bns
Hypothetical here: Say u find that crate for $6K. Scenario #2 u find a $4K 5.3/ 6L. No way will it cost $2 k to ship. GMPP offers crate EFI & carb. I hope u stay EFI tho. Ya, carb is simpler & u like the nostagia. New learning curve on the injected stuff, just like I'm trying to learn to tune. Many can help w/. advice, tips & services.
However, I thought u were gonna say a budget of $4K or $5K.

A total budget of around 7500-9000 can go a ways. I might not ever say this again, but I agree w/. GMCtrk, that's alot to work w/. in terms of budget. Ya ya, don't let it swell your head Mike.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: That budget opens up some possibilities for sure.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, I'm not sure bout where in Canada u are. That said, there used to be some guys there that built wicked stuff. Ya, BBC, old school, but an 8 sec 4,000+ # car is impressive when it pulls the wheels. IIRC, they did the EFI too.
Ever heard of ARE?

Anyway. Say your wire harness needs work to go V8. I can think of quite a few places that are more than capable. Tuning, we have 2 sponsors that are known for that, & others. Tranny ideas, well...2 sponsors on here receive alot of praise for their built units. I hope I helped but there are many more versed than me.

Last edited by fastnblu; 04-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 AM

THanks again for all the input guys!

Ok. So lets say I am considering staying with injection... After all, its not that I have a problem with injection, its just that I feel like its less hassle to switch over to carb. Where would be a good place to start looking for motors and the necessary parts needed to swap?

Are there some good threads outlining the pros and cons of different injected motors?

Wheels are starting to turn. I just want to keep my build realistic, thats all.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search junkyards for complete running setups with the computer/harnesses unless you want new for some reason. Or are there salvage restrictions in Canada? hmm.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by neilownz
Search junkyards for complete running setups with the computer/harnesses unless you want new for some reason. Or are there salvage restrictions in Canada? hmm.
Thats the route that I have been trying to avoid I guess... I just dont want to throw down a whack of cash on a motor that I dont know the history on and have a plethra of obstacles to overcome before I have a reliable driver again.

so I suppose I am at a crossroads here... I know I can buy a new crate motor with all the power I want, drop it in, turn the key, and drive away with a carb motor. Or... I could search for a low km complete set-up from a yard and venture into new territory and learn something completely different. Your getting my wheels turning guys.

I do like the idea of putting a new motor in over a used one, but I have a feeling a new 6.0L will cost me more than the 383's I have been pricing out.

Keep the advice coming guys.