Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2001 Tahoe 5.3L Catalyic converter upgrade (help) :o(

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Tahoe 5.3L Catalyic converter upgrade (help) :o(

hello, everyone.

i have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3L
i already have a borla cat back system....

do u guys know if borla make a cat for this truck?

or do u guys know what other company has good cats for this application?

have any of u already changed or gutted yours?

i was thinking about gutting it but i don't know if it will effect anything like the o2 sensors.

also i dont' want the truck to sound to obnoxious. but i do want it to roar a little....right now it only has a purrr.

thanks for all your help and comments in advance.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to spend the $$ on a full cat back then Borla is a good choice. I had a Flowmaster (crap) it was loud and annoying with a lot of drone. I switched to a Magnaflow and like it much better. It sounds just a little meaner than stock on a normal take off but when you get on it, it sounds really good. I bought the muffler and had the shop weld it in and then weld a 3" pipe from the muffler to the tip. Everything before the muffler is stock. Cats are untouched.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i had flowmaster on my grand cherokee and was not to happy with it.

i already have the dual borla cat back system on my Tahoe, i just don't know what to do for a CAT . i don't think borla even makes one....i haven't been able to find any online, i just finished email there tech to see what they have to say too.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
hello, everyone.

i have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3L
i already have a borla cat back system....

do u guys know if borla make a cat for this truck?

or do u guys know what other company has good cats for this application?

have any of u already changed or gutted yours?

i was thinking about gutting it but i don't know if it will effect anything like the o2 sensors.

also i dont' want the truck to sound to obnoxious. but i do want it to roar a little....right now it only has a purrr.

thanks for all your help and comments in advance.

I believe its dynomax that sells an straight threw cat, I completely got rid of mine and the rear 02's its a great mod. Honestly Id redo the entire y pipe there is alot of power to be had in that area. GM does have an off road y pipe that is a direct replacement for the stock one. Ive never seen one though not sure if its flattened where it passes under the tranny.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I know Magnaflow makes high flow cats but I'm not sure how "high flow" they are. I have been told the factory cats are actually pretty good. So, I left them on.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
I believe its dynomax that sells an straight threw cat, I completely got rid of mine and the rear 02's its a great mod. Honestly Id redo the entire y pipe there is alot of power to be had in that area. GM does have an off road y pipe that is a direct replacement for the stock one. Ive never seen one though not sure if its flattened where it passes under the tranny.
when u got rid of the rear o2 sensor did u put anything in its place? does the check engine light come on at all now?
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sexyvic1
when u got rid of the rear o2 sensor did u put anything in its place? does the check engine light come on at all now?
nothing is there the whole y pipe was remade with mandrel bends. I deleted all associated rear 02 codes with hpt.

Try this go outside unplug the rear 02 sensors, drive it around it should set a light but it shouldnt effect performance. Make sure the wire isnt dangling on the exhaust.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
nothing is there the whole y pipe was remade with mandrel bends. I deleted all associated rear 02 codes with hpt.

Try this go outside unplug the rear 02 sensors, drive it around it should set a light but it shouldnt effect performance. Make sure the wire isnt dangling on the exhaust.
this true but when you go take your inspection and they hook there machine it will read all the codes that have went off. and on buying new cats it is a waste of money stock cats flow just as well as the high flow. waste you money on a ory pipe or just hollow your cats and get a custom tune. waitformeperforance tune $75 gutting cats Free