Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2006 Silverado will not crank. How odd.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado will not crank. How odd.

Nothing leading up to this. Battery is good, good connections, starter is not dragging.

Went to grocery store, stopped again at a gas station on the way home to get some Sprite. Got back in. All dash lights, a/c radio, windows, horn, ect. All work. Nothing at the ignition/key switch.

I know the usual suspects, what I dont know, is the the security/anti-theft issues that could prevent it from cranking. It was dark when i got it home, so I didnt get a chance to check any fuses, or check any connections to the starter. I do think I hear the selenoid click when I hit the ignition.

Where should I start?

Last edited by NO F-BDY BS; 08-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NO F-BDY BS
Nothing leading up to this. Battery is good, good connections, starter is not dragging.

Went to grocery store, stopped again at a gas station on the way home to get some Sprite. Got back in. All dash lights, a/c radio, windows, horn, ect. All work. Nothing at the ignition/key switch.

I know the usual suspects, what I dont know, is the the security/anti-theft issues that could prevent it from cranking. It was dark when i got it home, so I didnt get a chance to check any fuses, or check any connections to the starter. I do think I hear the selenoid click when I hit the ignition.

Where should I start?
If you hear the solenoid hitting, then you probably need to replace the starter. Most likely the contactor in the solenoid has failed.

There's a possibility the power cable under the oil pan has corroded out but it is usually more intermittent than not at all.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

does the gear selector say P if not it could be a "pnss" park neutral safety switch try starting in neutral. if it says p it should be alright though
Old 08-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bbowerman
does the gear selector say P if not it could be a "pnss" park neutral safety switch try starting in neutral. if it says p it should be alright though
Yeah, thats all good. No dice in N either.

Got my wife to cycle the key, i can def hear the solenoid hitting.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check all the grounds again just to be sure. Back of both heads, and the one on the drivers side pan rail as mentioned above.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I would check all the grounds again just to be sure. Back of both heads, and the one on the drivers side pan rail as mentioned above.
Will do. Gonna be home in a bit, and see what i can find out.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NO F-BDY BS
Yeah, thats all good. No dice in N either.

Got my wife to cycle the key, i can def hear the solenoid hitting.
Have you tried tapping the solenoid while your wife holds key in start position? Grounds are a good thing to check too.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same exact problem I would have changed the ignition switch but I was out town working and didn't have time to wait on ordered parts. I dropped the truck off at the dealership they replaced the battery and the ground lead. The battery was not that old and the main ground wire looked near perfect. I think the problem was the ground wire the whole time.