Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2007 Classic 8.1 supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the whipple those are awesome superchargers. OR get a sts turbo. why cant you tune the trans will if you dont mind me askin.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

HPTuners says they can't tune the Allison transmission because no one has been able to break the new Allison codes. They say they are working in it.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:42 PM

something that you should remember is that is a heavy truck to just flat out run...now hook it on a trailer and it will pull like a mad dog cause i have seen one do it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1997chevy454
something that you should remember is that is a heavy truck to just flat out run...now hook it on a trailer and it will pull like a mad dog cause i have seen one do it.
I know it tows well. We have towed about 16,000lbs across the country before. But my dad like trucks and he wants it to burn of the tires at every stop sign. I keep tellin him that is what his 66 GTO is for, but he wants them both to haul ***.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the tq management, our 6.0 is the same way. Wester or something like that makes a TQ management delete that they say is worth every penney. Two of my firends have 8.100 now one will kill the tires at will threw first and second, just like a diesel doese if you brake boost one. The other truck hardley will squeel the tires.

One thing i hate about the 8.1 is how it falls on it face after 3200 rpms. My 6.0 just starts going... wonder if thats head flow or cam profile that causes them to quit pulling?

As for the whipple they are probably the best on the market for the 8.1 mainly because there is not a lot of options. I think whipple told me the intercooled one made 580 Crank hp and 800 crank tq. Tyron on here had one on a suburban that ran low 13's....

as i said earlier if it was me i would look into the TQ delete from WESTERS. if that doesnt do what you want look at the "cheaper" bolt on's. few years ago some one with comuter tuning picked up like 45 and 60 lbtq with headers, intake and exhaust at the wheels.

Torque management (TM) is GM's effort to reduce transmission wear by reducing engine output through timing retard during “abusive” maneuvers. The problem here is that GM believe acceleration from a stop is an “abusive” maneuver, as is punching the throttle during a highway merge. Both of these maneuvers cause an immediate reduction in engine power – the characteristic fraction-of-a-second delay you experience when you try to make your truck . We reduce this approximately 75-80%, which still leaves enough TM to protect from the most abusive maneuvers. We believe it makes for a safer and more responsive truck without introducing unnecessary wear on the drivetrain. The “Remove most all” option on the order form is appropriate for most owners.

My dream set up is Head and cam, Long tubes, cat back, westers, and intercooled whipple in a suburban... need warp speed with the kids.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kerr
Its the tq management, our 6.0 is the same way. Wester or something like that makes a TQ management delete that they say is worth every penney. Two of my firends have 8.100 now one will kill the tires at will threw first and second, just like a diesel doese if you brake boost one. The other truck hardley will squeel the tires.

One thing i hate about the 8.1 is how it falls on it face after 3200 rpms. My 6.0 just starts going... wonder if thats head flow or cam profile that causes them to quit pulling?

As for the whipple they are probably the best on the market for the 8.1 mainly because there is not a lot of options. I think whipple told me the intercooled one made 580 Crank hp and 800 crank tq. Tyron on here had one on a suburban that ran low 13's....

as i said earlier if it was me i would look into the TQ delete from WESTERS. if that doesnt do what you want look at the "cheaper" bolt on's. few years ago some one with comuter tuning picked up like 45 and 60 lbtq with headers, intake and exhaust at the wheels.

Torque management (TM) is GM's effort to reduce transmission wear by reducing engine output through timing retard during “abusive” maneuvers. The problem here is that GM believe acceleration from a stop is an “abusive” maneuver, as is punching the throttle during a highway merge. Both of these maneuvers cause an immediate reduction in engine power – the characteristic fraction-of-a-second delay you experience when you try to make your truck . We reduce this approximately 75-80%, which still leaves enough TM to protect from the most abusive maneuvers. We believe it makes for a safer and more responsive truck without introducing unnecessary wear on the drivetrain. The “Remove most all” option on the order form is appropriate for most owners.

My dream set up is Head and cam, Long tubes, cat back, westers, and intercooled whipple in a suburban... need warp speed with the kids.
Wow, thanks for your input. I hope he decides to go with the Whipple, maybe then he will not complain so much about the trucks lack of power.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Id lo the computer first. Its like $500. vs $6500 for the whipple. If the TQM system is only pulling 50% of the power at wide open that drops the big block down to peak power of 157hp @ 227lbtq at wide open if you use the crank numbers.

Back on our 6.0. it will not powerbrake in the rain with 410 gears. We have never used a stop watch but 0-60 is slower than 60-100 mph its pull like freaight good once in 3ed gear.. just has no ***** down low.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
I recommend swapping motors. I will trade you a 5.3L for that 8.1L
LoL.... Good luck with that trade Spoolin

-Rob
Old 08-01-2007, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Kerr]Id lo the computer first. Its like $500. vs $6500 for the whipple. If the TQM system is only pulling 50% of the power at wide open that drops the big block down to peak power of 157hp @ 227lbtq at wide open if you use the crank numbers. QUOTE]

I have HPTuners, so there is no need to pay for a PCM when I can do what they do. And no matter what I do for TM, the Allison is not affected as it has it's own computer. So even a mail order PCM for 500.00 can't tune the Allison tranny.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

I thought the torque management was only active during shifts to save the transmission?

Otherwise shouldn't you be able to see the reduced power in dynos?

On my dashhawk, the torque management parameter only becomes active during heavy throttle upshifts.

Quick Reply: 2007 Classic 8.1 supercharger?