Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

20's and mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomHero
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever ******* heard. Care to share the scientifics of that?
Just cuz your not educated doesnt mean that its stupid.

Well, during the test, dropping the engine speed by 420 RPM (4th to 5th gear), or 16.8%, raised mpg by 8.9 mpg (47 to 55.9), or 18.9%. So switching to the 3.1% larger circumference wheel & tire would reduce RPM by the same percentage (3.1%). That would theoretically increase MPG by 3.1% / 16.8% * 8.9 mpg = 1.64 mpg (US) in top gear.

It would take me less RPM to run at 65mph with a 20 inch tires then you with 17's.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Freakenhye
Just cuz your not educated doesnt mean that its stupid.

Well, during the test, dropping the engine speed by 420 RPM (4th to 5th gear), or 16.8%, raised mpg by 8.9 mpg (47 to 55.9), or 18.9%. So switching to the 3.1% larger circumference wheel & tire would reduce RPM by the same percentage (3.1%). That would theoretically increase MPG by 3.1% / 16.8% * 8.9 mpg = 1.64 mpg (US) in top gear.

It would take me less RPM to run at 65mph with a 20 inch tires then you with 17's.
Actually it would take more gas to turn 20's(~90#s) than 17's (~60#s). Reason being the amount of rotational wieght, basically 20's are like pulling a small trailer. You are correct in that it will change your final drive ratio, but way off on your theory that 20's will yeild a higher MPG. And comparing a Cobalt to a truck is like comparing apples and donkeys....
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Actually it would take more gas to turn 20's(~90#s) than 17's (~60#s). Reason being the amount of rotational wieght, basically 20's are like pulling a small trailer. You are correct in that it will change your final drive ratio, but way off on your theory that 20's will yeild a higher MPG. And comparing a Cobalt to a truck is like comparing apples and donkeys....

This is why 20's on the street is a bad idea. But there performance is best for the freeway. If you read my first post then you would know. And comparing a cobalt to a truck is not what i did, I compared rims sizes. Becuase its easier to accellerate a 17's but its harder to keep it at the same speed then it is 18's. You are right about rotational wieght, but to counter that i got 21 miles per gallon on the freeway out of my 4.8 Vortec on a stock engine and tires, with 500 pounds of load in the back, wieght isnt the problem that much becuase the car was rated at 21mpg. Its people. Just Becuase they see a difference in less mpg with taller tires and they contribute this to the tire and not the led foot they have, they arnt used to the decrease in acceleration from larger rims/tires, and push the gas pedal more to get the accelleration feel that they are used to.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Resident Retard

This is why 20's on the street is a bad idea. But there performance is best for the freeway. If you read my first post then you would know. And comparing a cobalt to a truck is not what i did, I compared rims sizes. Becuase its easier to accellerate a 17's but its harder to keep it at the same speed then it is 18's. You are right about rotational wieght, but to counter that i got 21 miles per gallon on the freeway out of my 4.8 Vortec on a stock engine and tires, with 500 pounds of load in the back, wieght isnt the problem that much becuase the car was rated at 21mpg. Its people. Just Becuase they see a difference in less mpg with taller tires and they contribute this to the tire and not the led foot they have, they arnt used to the decrease in acceleration from larger rims/tires, and push the gas pedal more to get the accelleration feel that they are used to.
I see what your saying, its a beautiful theory but speaking from experience I had 20's on my truck and switched to stock 16 and my MPG went up both city and highway it has to do with rotational weight....... I don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting better MPG with 20's compared to smaller wheels..... The only way your theory would work is if the 20's weighed less than the 16's.....
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I see what your saying, its a beautiful theory but speaking from experience I had 20's on my truck and switched to stock 16 and my MPG went up both city and highway it has to do with rotational weight....... I don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting better MPG with 20's compared to smaller wheels..... The only way your theory would work is if the 20's weighed less than the 16's.....
And this is why gearing is important. To compensate for the tires, to get the car back into the torque sweet spot. Becuase a vehcile has its best MPG when the rpm is in that range at crusing speed which is 65.

All this mpg gallong talk is what i do all day. try to get the best mpg out of my trucks.

Best i got out of my 03 silverado was 600 miles on a full tank of gas(26Gal). 4.8 stock. rated at 19mpg, but with my driving i got a full 23mpg out of the truck.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Resident Retard

And this is why gearing is important. To compensate for the tires, to get the car back into the torque sweet spot. Becuase a vehcile has its best MPG when the rpm is in that range at crusing speed which is 65.
It is still more weight and no way around that.
For Example:

Truck A:
29.5 tire, 3.42 gears, 0.7 overdrive @ 65 turns 1772 rpm
Truck B:
35.0 tire, 4.11 gears, 0.7 overdrive @ 65 turns 1795 rpm

So from what your saying is that the trucks will get the same MPG and will accelerate the same? If you say yes then please post up your City and State so I can send an email to NASA and notify them that the basic laws of Physics do not exist in your City/State.

BTW, the calculator for these numbers can be found at Richmond Gear....

Last edited by BlackGMC; 10-30-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

width of the tire matters. ill give you that but a rim/tire that is the same width but taller will result in better mpg on the freeway then a smaller rim/tire combo.

Ahh man i know what your saying wider and taller tires = less MPG. Thats a given.

weight of rim has something to do with it, yes i agree but given the same weight and same width a 20 inch rim/tire combo would be better for the freeway then a 17 inch rim/tire combo.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this post is an interesting read. i get about 10 miles to the gallon with 22's and 4.56's.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Its not the weight that brings the mpg down. bigger rims only offer better performance on the freeways. Smaller rims are better for street driving.

You would see better MPG on the freeway with larger rims, but worse on the street, and vice versa.

This why i saw 35-40 mpg on my Cobalt with 18's and my friends see 32 -35 in there Ions Redline with 17's driving on the freeways.
Now these cars are the same, but the ions come with 17's and would always accelerate faster then the cobalts.
.....wHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
.....wHAT THE F*CK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Quick Reply: 20's and mpg?