Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

20's and mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
...this trip has ALWAYS been run at 80mph so my "test" truly IS an HONEST comparison (same truck, same time of year, same way, etc.)....sure I burn more fuel at 80 than I would at 65 but we are not talking about what is the best MPH to drive for fuel economy, we are discussing if tire size offsets the weight of 20rims....my results (along with everyone but yourself) say no they do not...

but anyways.....you have it set in your mind that big wheels ALWAYS give better MPG and my guess is you will fudge the test to fit (you will see what you WANT to see), so have at it.....go prove us wrong...
Im sorry that you think i will fudge the results to prove everyone wrong. I dont do things of this nature, as i fallow what my sig says.

I have proven the fact that i can get 23mpg on a 03 Silverado with 16's when it was rated at 21. I have also proven to get 29mpg out of a Cobalt that was rated at 23 on the street. Ive been doing this type of testing for the last 5 years, and i have not done this type of test, and im trying to do it with the best of my abbilities. I have secured a another 07 NBS 5.3 with 3.73 gears but with 17's and after my 20 min ride on the same freeway at the same time at the same speed i will see what my ave mpg is. My tests will not fudge the results. if im wrong i will say that im wrong. The only thing im saying is

At 65mph cruise on a straight road i will get better mpg with my 20's that came on my truck then i would with 17's.

I am not saying 20's are good for street driving, or that they are good for acceleration. All im saying is taller rims that are stock on a vehicle are better in mpg on the free then shorter ones that come stock on a vehicle.

And people putting monster tires on a car and saying that i will get better mpg on the freeway is not proving me wrong. I can put the same diamater tire on but not as wide and still prove you wrong. So dont even try. Sure acceleration would take a **** but at speed it will be better.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
?????? Thats what I was wondering...........

Engine & Exhaust------------------Wheels and tires............ Nope not related..

I didnt start the thread.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freakenhye
Im sorry that you think i will fudge the results to prove everyone wrong. I dont do things of this nature, as i fallow what my sig says.

I have proven the fact that i can get 23mpg on a 03 Silverado with 16's when it was rated at 21. I have also proven to get 29mpg out of a Cobalt that was rated at 23 on the street. Ive been doing this type of testing for the last 5 years, and i have not done this type of test, and im trying to do it with the best of my abbilities. I have secured a another 07 NBS 5.3 with 3.73 gears but with 17's and after my 20 min ride on the same freeway at the same time at the same speed i will see what my ave mpg is. My tests will not fudge the results. if im wrong i will say that im wrong. The only thing im saying is

At 65mph cruise on a straight road i will get better mpg with my 20's that came on my truck then i would with 17's.

I am not saying 20's are good for street driving, or that they are good for acceleration. All im saying is taller rims that are stock on a vehicle are better in mpg on the free then shorter ones that come stock on a vehicle.

And people putting monster tires on a car and saying that i will get better mpg on the freeway is not proving me wrong. I can put the same diamater tire on but not as wide and still prove you wrong. So dont even try. Sure acceleration would take a **** but at speed it will be better.
No one is proving you wrong because you are doing that yourself. You're testing different vehicles not on the same vehicle. I did my own testing with the same vehicle with two different sets of wheel and tire combos with the same driving habits. The difference between the combos being 29 lbs. of extra rotating mass that my truck had to spin and 2.6 mph lower fuel economy. My testing is what matters to me.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started the damn thread if the mods want to move then please do it.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
No one is proving you wrong because you are doing that yourself. You're testing different vehicles not on the same vehicle. I did my own testing with the same vehicle with two different sets of wheel and tire combos with the same driving habits. The difference between the combos being 29 lbs. of extra rotating mass that my truck had to spin and 2.6 mph lower fuel economy. My testing is what matters to me.

I see what you are saying. But since i dont have a set of 17's the only thing i can do is same truck, same weight, same driver, same driving habits, just a different color.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Me neither.....