Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

2500HD 6.0 w/ hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why stop now. Keep doin mods. It takes a little more than you think to get a truck that size down to mid 15s. My guess the way it is now is maybe 15.8-16.2. Thats still pretty good for that size of a truck. Id be willing your truck weighs at least 5500lbs. It takes alot of power to push that, but you have a great platform to build on.

FL8PONY, right now i am running 4.10s with 27" tall tires. Kinda like running 4.56s or bigger with stock tires. It pulls nice. It only gets 16.5mpg on the highway though. When i pulled my Blazer up to Maine the total trailer weight was 8300lbs, and i pulled it with no probs in 4th gear at 75-80mph and got 14mpg. Thats really not bad considering the size of the load. When i order my slicks i think i may have to go with the 28" tall ones too because my highest trap so far with the 225 was 115mph on the street tires. Im going to run out of gear pretty soon.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

It's a 2003 w/ 13,000 miles. I use mobile 1 and I want this truck to last. I also have a warranty issue if I add a stall or do motor work. I am limited to what I can do to it until the warranty is up. Do you have any ideas for mods with this in mind?
Old 03-14-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

It depends on your dealership to what you can do and get away with. I had an 01' reg cab with a 4.3 and a few mods. The trany started acting up with less than 10k on it and the dealership tried to tell me it was because of my mods. The trany wasnt made for the increased hp they said. It was a V6 for god sake!!!

You could install shorty headers, and a 100hp dry shot. Just yank the dry shot off before you take it to the dealer. If you launch in 4hi you will beat most everyone you meet at stop lights. Dry shots are really safe too.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
It depends on your dealership to what you can do and get away with. I had an 01' reg cab with a 4.3 and a few mods. The trany started acting up with less than 10k on it and the dealership tried to tell me it was because of my mods. The trany wasnt made for the increased hp they said. It was a V6 for god sake!!!

You could install shorty headers, and a 100hp dry shot. Just yank the dry shot off before you take it to the dealer. If you launch in 4hi you will beat most everyone you meet at stop lights. Dry shots are really safe too.
Not to get off topic, but you said to launch in 4 hi. I understand that it will give you more traction, but wouldn't the autotrac be better. Is it ok to run in 4 hi? I have a couple people wanting to rave me this spring at the track and didn't really think about it till now.

Also, you said dry shots are really safe, whats the difference? I don't want to ask my co-worker, even though he knows all about that stuff w/ his civics, it would only lead to me getting harrassed at work for wanting NOS on my truck. Anyway, thanks for the help
Old 03-15-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I hear alot of the 4x4 guys run in auto 4, and some run in 4hi. I have a 100 shot on my blazer with a 2600 stall and i spray right off the line in 4hi. It gives hella whiplash! It churps the tires and sits back.

The reason i like dry shots is because the MAF adjusts fuel automaticaly for it. If you stay @ a 100hp or smaller it wont hurt anything.
The wet shot you can go bigger cheaper, BUT if for any reason you loose that extra fuel the engine goes boom. Ive had alot of friends blow their motors because the aux fuel pump went out.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

In higher HP applications the Auto 4whd function doesnt work well.

I used to use it all the time but as I added HP it became very unstable. Now when I try to use it the whole truck shudders and you can feel it going slower till you high high speeds and it disengages. 4wh Hi works mouch better for me.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Scrap that HPPIII and get a custom tune. Then you will be able to lay down some patches from a dead stop. I can lay about 6' patches with 36x14.50x16 tires. It makes a world of difference. Doesnt sound like a lot, but that is a lot of rubber making contact on the pavement.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

1BADHD,

What mods do you have done to your motor and trans.? I only have K&N FIPK, HPP3, and Exhaust. Is that all you have, but custom tune instead of HPP3? I don't know how a custom tune could make me that much more power, so I got the HPP3. I also like being able to return to stock with no trace of the tune. Do you need a different T-stat with a custom tune? How much do they cost? Can it go back to stock easily? Does it firm up shifts? Can you have different shift points? What tune do you have?
Old 03-16-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

I have a Westers Custom tune. What it is, is a actual new ECM that you swap out. Its not a handheld. Its not detectable at a dealer. If you want to go back to stock you just put your stock ECM back in. Only takes about 10 minutes to swap out. You dont need a different T-stat with a custom tune. BUT....you can get it tuned for one. A custom tune is exactly what it says. They will tune you ECM for what mods you have. Everything makes a difference in the fuel and timing. Want firmer shifts, tell them how firm. Want different shift points, tell them at what RPM you want it. There is NO LIMITS.

The only mods I have are NGK plugs, Taylor wires, UPD intake, Dual exhaust, TB spacer (waste of money), electric fans and ASP underdrive pullies.

Do a search on Westers or Neleson Performance. They both do awsome work. Cost varies upon the year of the truck.

BTW, I started out with the HPPIII. Then went to a Predator. Then to a Westers. The power went up each time. It was VERY noticable. Best $$$ I ever spent.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Default trucksred

just joined this club yesterday,3-21 i don't even know if i'm doing this right .i think i'll make this a short one and add another one later.been driving chevy 4x4's for thirty years.my latest gem is an 03 1500hd. which is a std 2500.i think they went back that way this year.going to sign out and write back after i eat.

Quick Reply: 2500HD 6.0 w/ hypertech