Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

3.5" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts
Default 3.5" Exhaust

Getting ready to put the long tubes on the truck and have been strongly considering upping to 3.5" exhaust since the speed engineering ORY has a 3.5" exit on it. Having a hard time finding a shop here that will do 3.5" mandrel bent tubing, I know its not necessary but I hate the way crush bent tubing looks, so I have been looking for other options.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...silverado-1500

Does anyone have experience with this exhaust? Listened to some sound clips from various MBRP exhausts and I don't really care much for them so I would probably swap out the muffler for the 3.5" version of the DynoMax I have now.

Does anyone know of any other options for piping, minus muffler preferably, with single side exit? Magnaflow had an aluminized steel 3" tailpipe kit that I used from muffler back on my 99 and it worked great. Plan on using a vband on the end of the ORY so I could take the exhaust off completely if needed
Old 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

The 3.5" is for the 6.2s. Just fyi.
on my old 5.3 I had a MBRP side exit and loved it but you can see everything on this thread,
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-554973/

As far as as buying something pre bent and adding your own muffler... you might as well just have it custom made. You can see on my other thread, "my 2018 sierra 6.2 exhaust" that's what I did before I went to long tubes. It was pretty easy, i bought 3' of straight tube and a 90° U bend and put it together pretty quickly.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FabAddict
The 3.5" is for the 6.2s. Just fyi.
on my old 5.3 I had a MBRP side exit and loved it but you can see everything on this thread,
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...xhaust-554973/

As far as as buying something pre bent and adding your own muffler... you might as well just have it custom made. You can see on my other thread, "my 2018 sierra 6.2 exhaust" that's what I did before I went to long tubes. It was pretty easy, i bought 3' of straight tube and a 90° U bend and put it together pretty quickly.
I am aware that that kit is intended for the 6.2. There are many people running 3.5" exhaust on the 14+ 5.3's and that is what I intend on doing as well. Especially since the long tubes and ory I bought have a 3.5" exit already. I'd rather not drop it down to the 3" I have on it now. Out of personal preference not necessity or anything.

I would love to fab my own exhaust, however I don't have the time nor do I have a welder and the welding skills you do. Your exhaust looks phenomenal btw. If I was going to exit before the rear tire I'd ask for your old system lol. I do like your dual tips tho, that is something I would like to do as well. I may even ask if you'd build a system as it were anyway lol.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

Where are you located?
I was thinking about selling it to a guy at work. He wants to get it with tax money but if that doesn't happen maybe we can work some out.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FabAddict
Where are you located?
I was thinking about selling it to a guy at work. He wants to get it with tax money but if that doesn't happen maybe we can work some out.
Phoenix AZ. PM me about it. Maybe we can work something out.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

OE 6.2 catback is mandrel bent.. and fits like OE. Can find use for around $50-100

Cut in your own muffler and you have 3.5" mandrel bent for around 300

It does neck down near the end of the exhaust but you could dump it or add a piece of pipe to the tail

Also the OE has that big funky clamp that meets up to your speed engineering Y pipe just right

It was the best option I found when doing my setup.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
OE 6.2 catback is mandrel bent.. and fits like OE. Can find use for around $50-100

Cut in your own muffler and you have 3.5" mandrel bent for around 300

It does neck down near the end of the exhaust but you could dump it or add a piece of pipe to the tail

Also the OE has that big funky clamp that meets up to your speed engineering Y pipe just right

It was the best option I found when doing my setup.
LOL I was hoping you'd respond... should have just sent you a PM.

I will have to take a look and see if I can find anyone selling a take off.

Using the OE exhaust piping would cut the need for doing a vband, but I may still do one, or two, because they are cool
Old 02-11-2020, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
LOL I was hoping you'd respond... should have just sent you a PM.

I will have to take a look and see if I can find anyone selling a take off.

Using the OE exhaust piping would cut the need for doing a vband, but I may still do one, or two, because they are cool
lol, all good man. V bands are cool, I personally like to use OE stuff as much as possible, as long as I can get it to work and not hinder performance too. It always fits just right and is never a hassle later.

I saw a take off for as low as $50 in my area before that I ended up missing out on by 5 minutes the dude told me lol, I've heard that others have paid less than that even. I paid probably more than anyone ever has, $140, and was still worth it.

Fitting right was a big thing for me, aftermarket exhaust is always a little bit of a battle to get just right and I'm picky as F so I usually end up messing with it a ton to get it just right. OE fits exactly right and clears everything every time. That's one reason I wanted it. Piping is expensive no matter how you buy it, so buying a full OE setup and cutting it up however you want will save you money and fit well. Plus it already has a super high end quality flex pipe in it. In my opinion it's just a full out win if you're looking for 3.5"

Aftermarket 3.5" systems are all around 500 or so that I'm aware of and come with a muffler most people cannot stand and end up putting several hundred dollars into that system to make it quiet enough. I'd just rather buy a system for 100 and put a few hundred in it. To each their own.

And right now, I'm running the OE 3.5" with the stock muffler and resonator. I paid my muffler shop buddy I think $50 to swap it, weld it,and cut out the flapper. My **** fits great sounds great (super quiet) and I have less than 200 in it. At my test spot the headers and cat back made the truck pick up 3 mph over my previous setup that already picked up 2-3 over the bone stock setup. So I got near 5 from headers and stock 6.2 catback over the full stock 5.3 exhaust setup, that's a lot. Total of $650 invested in the whole setup (headers, clamps, exh, everything). You can try to beat that, but won't lol.

My buddy that runs a muffler shop literally wouldn't let me change the muffler out. This dude really knows what he's talking about and has tried all kinds of mufflers on all kinds of vehicles so he knows what to steer people toward and away from.. he told me I would hate it if I replaced the stock muffler with anything else since it would be too loud, and from what I've read most cannot stand running headers and aftermarket exhaust/mufflers and go through great lengths to get them quite enough to stand them. So.. I went this route.

I really do think I'm still gonna swap out the muffler but keep the OE one just in case. I want it a little louder and to flow a little better than the stock muffler. But I don't think there is an in between, bgbldodge went through all this and cut in all kinds of different mufflers and had to go to the 6.2 OE to get it quiet enough.

The only bad part is stock muffler necks down to 3" then expands back out and I believe out at the very tip it gets back down to 3". The exhaust is 3.5" right up to the muffler and out of it but there are step downs right before the OE muffler. So I want to put in a 3.5" muffler there. But again, even considering all that I picked up a lot of power as is.

I have a few videos on my youtube of it, the burnout one gives you a good idea of how it sounds even though a lot of that sound in the vid is the intake.
I just made a couple of startup and rev videos and put them on there if you want to go listen.

https://www.youtube.com/user/blk95gs..._as=subscriber

Old 02-11-2020, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Listen on computer speakers to hear it well. I listened on my phone and it didn't sound like it does in person. On my **** computer speakers sounds just like it does in person.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

While I can definitely appreciate how quiet it is, I would absolutely HATE it that quiet LOL!

Love those wheels BTW. Truck looks really clean.

I'll have to look and see if I can dig up the old video of my 99 with basically a straight pipe. Cam, LT's, 3" ORY, into a 3" Magnaflow 5" round 14" long race muffler. It was STUPID loud. At this point in my life I don't want it THAT loud, but I do want to hear it.

I think when I initially get the LT's on I will use my current exhaust and see how I like it and then more than likely when funding allows step up to the 3.5" all the way back.

I have not been able to find a single 6.2 take off locally. I may try and call some of the exhaust shops and see if they have one laying around and would be willing to sell. If I can find one, I think that will be a great route to go, adding in a different muffler for a little more sound/flow.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: 3.5" Exhaust