Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

3.5" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by FabAddict
Just curious because people have different opinions on "loud or quiet" but where are you wanting your exhaust on a level from 1-10. 1 being stock, 10 being straight piped and 6 being most trucks with a muffler.
And do you want louder outside but quiet in the cab?
Excellent question.

For me, most trucks I hear with a muffler are great. But with headers and a muffler they are pretty loud. So how do you place that on your scale? Straight piped with stock manifolds and cats is still reasonable in my opinion. When I still had stock manifolds and cats I completely unbolted my catback and it wasn't horrible. I could probably live with that, as long as it was fully directed out and away, I personally don't want it in the cab. I also don't want to be that truck that people cringe when they hear it going down the road going geezus that's too much.

I keep hearing people say they cant tolerate headers and catbacks on trucks but not hearing the truck, I don't know what their toleration level is.

That's why I can't make up my mind on what to do next with mine.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did Kooks headers with the highflow cats and the Magnaflow 12909 3.5" muffler welded in. It can be quiet below 2000 rpm, beyond that there is a mildish tone/mild drone. But, when you honk on it, it has a tuned sound with a slight rasp, basically like a angry gorilla that is going to rip you arms off type sound. I didn't feel like for the extra cost of a catback there wouldn't be a future performance gain unless you went 4" or true dual 3". If you are ok with the extra weight and cost to get a 'look' then by all means go for a catback.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

So, a couple things to know. The farther back the exit the quieter it will sound in the truck but more chance of drone. I love the side exit/"Lightning" style exhaust so I wouldn't mind if its louder in the cab.
I have just discovered the Jones Turbine mufflers and would recommend to anyone with one of these trucks. They make a version with and without a built in resonator too. I think the one with is the way to go!! JT3535XL which I got on Ebay for about $75. I also think if you want to take away the chance of drone, run another resonator close to the tip as you can. Vibrant makes a nice "race muffler" in the 3.5" that I've used and I got on Ebay for $75 also. Just like the one on the thread, my 6.2.
when I went with the SW headers I did the same parts but with dual 3" and it wasn't much louder. One of my videos I compare the 2 set ups.
Even though I have long tubes, after market mufflers and side exit, i wouldn't change it. Under normal driving i can easily have a conversation without yelling and the little rumble it has put my 3 month old to sleep in about 2 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds good, pun intended lol

You have cats too don't you?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Launching!

Received 204 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmmace
basically like a angry gorilla that is going to rip you arms off type sound.
I just seen this☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼lol. Good description, I hear it exactly.

And yes, mine does have the high flow cats.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Just curious because people have different opinions on "loud or quiet" but where are you wanting your exhaust on a level from 1-10. 1 being stock, 10 being straight piped and 6 being most trucks with a muffler.
And do you want louder outside but quiet in the cab?
that’s a great question! I guess I would say I would be happy with a 7.2-7.7 on that spectrum. Obviously I know it’s going to be louder with long tubes than it is now with only the catback on it, and I’m completely ok with that. I currently exit behind the tire, but I have always loved the before tire exit as well. Your dual exit looks so good to me. I know the farther back the finish of the exhaust the quieter it will be in the cab which makes me inclined to keep it there, and do a dual tip solely because I like the look of them, rather than exit in front of the tire.

My 99 was so loud that anything over 25mph you could not have a conversation without yelling and could barely hear the music. I would consider that to be a 9 on your scale. When I had open headers for a week waiting for exhaust to come in it was stupid. Too loud. and then I went to the biggest body 3” Magnaflow I could get and it was way to quiet for me.

I found an old video with the loud exhaust. Not great quality, but like I said I put it at a 9 on the scale.
Not letting me attach the video here.. I’ll upload it to YouTube and post.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Old 02-12-2020, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dsmmace
I did Kooks headers with the highflow cats and the Magnaflow 12909 3.5" muffler welded in. It can be quiet below 2000 rpm, beyond that there is a mildish tone/mild drone. But, when you honk on it, it has a tuned sound with a slight rasp, basically like a angry gorilla that is going to rip you arms off type sound. I didn't feel like for the extra cost of a catback there wouldn't be a future performance gain unless you went 4" or true dual 3". If you are ok with the extra weight and cost to get a 'look' then by all means go for a catback.
Agree on the catback deal. That's why I got a stock 3.5 for mine and I'm debating on that 12909

I don't have cats though

I just seen this☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼lol. Good description, I hear it exactly.

And yes, mine does have the high flow cats.
Gotcha, those cats help tone it down quite a bit. In my younger days I had a honda that I pulled the muffler off of it and it was still pretty damn quiet. Just made a deep tone really. Sounded really good for a 4 cylinder. Straight piped the cat and it went from a 2 to a 9 and was raspy and nasty as hell. Cats make a huge difference.

Personally I'm over the super loud stuff myself, I had a 2000 camaro with long tubes and 3" true duals with an x pipe dumped under the car with basically small bullet mufflers. It was really loud and I drove it for many years, around 60k miles like that and I had my days with all that. I just don't see me doing that with this truck, it's too nice. I don't regret it, just ready for something different.

So I'm probably a 3-5 guy with this one.
Plus I think being loud should be left for cars that are actually fast. I work in the hood and there are straight piped slow *** cars hammering on it past the shop every day making a bunch of noise and going no where. I also pull a boat and would hate to hear my exhaust screaming as I'm trying to pull up a hill or just accelerate. Plus, I'm just old now.

It's so hard to tell how loud exhausts are from a video, but best I can tell your exhaust would be 100% acceptable for me. But I'm never gonna run cats so I need to figure out how to tame mine

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 02-12-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet
Very nice. Not obnoxious at all imo.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Well thanks guys. I definitely didn't hate it dang near 10 years ago lol. But I wouldn't want this truck that loud.

If I can't find a take off 6.2 exhaust I think I will probably get the MBRP kit and try that out. Worst case scenario is I end up changing out the muffler for something a little bigger to quiet it down from that.

Or if FabAddict wants to build me one I may go that route lol
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (02-13-2020)

Quick Reply: 3.5" Exhaust