Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

3 bolt flange or v-band style?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 3 bolt flange or v-band style?

I am looking ahead about a month or so and going to start buying my exhaust parts. Question is, what would be better. the classic 3 bolt flange style for my exhaust or the v-band style? Reason I am looking into this is because I do not want to have a permanent exhaust. If i need to get at something, I want to remove anything I can to not sacrifice usability with functionality. I was looking into the 3 flange, its sort of hard to come by those. I see them on ebay, but usually sold one at a time, and i will need 8 pairs i believe.
Where do you guys get your supply of flanges? I like the idea of v-band, but at around 20 bucks a pop, i can't reason with myself to spend that on flanges. unless you guys know where to get them cheaper. I was going to have an exhaust shop weld the flanges up when they bend my exhaust, but my buddy asked if he could do it since im helping with his bronco, well was... the frame is sitting on top of his dads f-150 and hes looking for 53 inch tires and i think rockwells for the axles... but any help on teh flanges would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I used ball and socket joints off the header collectors and 3 bolt flanges further down so I could take the pipes off to get to the trans
Old 03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit sells the 3-bolt flanges under "collector rings." The gaskets you use for these are also very important. If the flange isn't perfectly straight, you will be better off using a soft metal gasket like copper or aluminum. Otherwise the carbon or composite gaskets should work, many of which are reusable.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...s/?Ns=Rank|Asc

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...e/?Ns=Rank|Asc
Old 03-24-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see V-bands on ebay for 10 bucks a piece. I'm considering them for my reworked exhaust that I hope to get done soon
Old 03-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

i used both Vbands (off the headers) and 3 bolt flanges on the other piece of my exhaust. IMO the key to getting the 3 bolt flanges to seal good is doubling them up and welding 2 of them together to make 1 thick flange. that is what i did and I have zero leaks. As posted above i bought "collector rings" from summit.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
i used both Vbands (off the headers) and 3 bolt flanges on the other piece of my exhaust. IMO the key to getting the 3 bolt flanges to seal good is doubling them up and welding 2 of them together to make 1 thick flange. that is what i did and I have zero leaks. As posted above i bought "collector rings" from summit.
Doubling them up is definitely the way to go, as they can warp very easily...I like the looks of the v-bands though, just don't have any personal experience with them yet...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hopefully someone with experience posts up. I just want to be able to remove the exhaust when I break this nv3500...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I have v-bands off the headers and never had a problem after a year and a half, never even had to tighten them up
Old 03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Im pretty sure GMCtrk would recommend a slip-joint..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After using Band clamps. Welds, then 3 bolt flange I'd go with Ball and Socket hands down.
No gasket, Tight seal, and you don't have to worry about the bolt being too close to the pipe to get a damn socket on it.

Quick Reply: 3 bolt flange or v-band style?