Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

3" Cutout Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Damn I just looked around and yes they have gone up a lot. It was the right side exit with resonator and muffler. I remember it was 7 something I think I posted up. I don't ever sensationalize stuff for sure. Sorry...
Old 02-27-2020, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

I was hoping to have the 4" cutout setup done weeks ago but the slave cylinder gave out and I had other more important projects then dropping the trans again. So I just got the slave swapped out and truck buttoned up yesterday, I'm going to call the fab shop today and see when they can get me in. I'm a little worried there won't be enough room for 2 Vibrant ultra quiets in the Y pipe before the merge. The shop does some really beautiful work and specializes in import drift cars so they are used to tight spaces. If they cant get them to fit I'll step down to the Vibrant bullet resonators.

Can't get the current Y pipe back in without loosening the headers which I really don't want to do so I guess I'll be driving to the fab shop open header.

Truck still needs a lot of little stuff updated/cleaned up but heres a little open header video with some chop
Old 02-27-2020, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

'Merica

Seems really quiet for open headers though.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
'Merica

Seems really quiet for open headers though.
4 year old phone problems. I had ear plugs in it was so loud.

Well shop is booked for a week or 2 so keep standing by for 4in exhaust videos/pics.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (02-29-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 PM
makes children cry

Received 440 Likes on 361 Posts

i remember last time i had open headers...
got dark during the install & i hadn't figured out to loosen both ends to make it all fit together, so i just started it with open headers to verify everything else was good.
10pm, on base, in the family housing section... THAT's when it became apparent that i forgot to install the freeze plug into the intake where i'd deleted the EGR. screamed up to about 5500rpm before i killed the ignition. whoops.
The following 3 users liked this post by _zebra:
00pooterSS (02-29-2020), dantheman1540 (02-28-2020), tjmath (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _zebra
i remember last time i had open headers...
got dark during the install & i hadn't figured out to loosen both ends to make it all fit together, so i just started it with open headers to verify everything else was good.
10pm, on base, in the family housing section... THAT's when it became apparent that i forgot to install the freeze plug into the intake where i'd deleted the EGR. screamed up to about 5500rpm before i killed the ignition. whoops.
Oh boy I bet they liked that! I drove all through Dallas open header when I had the NV4500 put in because nobody would touch a truck with no cats even though it had Florida Tags. Finally went to a sketchy exhaust chop shop to have the new Y pipe built.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Oh boy I bet they liked that! I drove all through Dallas open header when I had the NV4500 put in because nobody would touch a truck with no cats even though it had Florida Tags. Finally went to a sketchy exhaust chop shop to have the new Y pipe built.
Damn wish I had know I know exactly who you should have gone to here in dallas. But yeah people are overly concerned about working on modded cars.. it gets annoying sometimes.

Anyway, did you ever get any of this new stuff done? I know it hasn't been a long time but I'm excited to hear it when you get it done so i'm impatient lol
Old 03-19-2020, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Damn wish I had know I know exactly who you should have gone to here in dallas. But yeah people are overly concerned about working on modded cars.. it gets annoying sometimes.

Anyway, did you ever get any of this new stuff done? I know it hasn't been a long time but I'm excited to hear it when you get it done so i'm impatient lol
I didn't live there long enough to make any great connections and I worked non-stop while I was there so I had no free time. But yeah I like Florida auto laws, you could register a shopping cart here if you duct taped a VIN on the handle.

Still waiting for the shop to get time they have a couple days blocked for me first week of April to do the exhaust which I cant wait for!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I didn't live there long enough to make any great connections and I worked non-stop while I was there so I had no free time. But yeah I like Florida auto laws, you could register a shopping cart here if you duct taped a VIN on the handle.

Still waiting for the shop to get time they have a couple days blocked for me first week of April to do the exhaust which I cant wait for!
I hear ya, I feel like that's all I do here. I do my modding at work between customer cars.

And sweet, that's not too far away now
Old 03-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes I agree dual 3" cutouts would flow more than a single 4" but I don't know If I have that space or want to complicate the setup that much. From my googling 4 should support my power level (600ish) and the difference between single 3" and single 4" is big where Single 4" to dual 3" Isn't that much difference.

Plus not sure why but I feel like single exit sounds rowdier at high rpm than dual. What do you guys think?
welding in 2 3" cutouts is more complicated than the paint art plans above spending $700+?

Quick Reply: 3" Cutout Enough?