Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

305 vortec TBI

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 305 vortec TBI

My vortec 305 is struggling. Anyone modded one? Any OTHER systems i can use because the stock intake SUCKS after looking at it today. Trying to iron out my cooling system problems but i know the head gaskets are next. By that time i would like have a alternative to switchs to when it comes to a fuel system.

-Marcus
Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can try converting to MFI with some Edelbrock products. The performer RPM series should really wake it up.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, if it is a 87-95 TBI the Edelbrock conversion seems to be a good choice. Heads and a small cam would do wonders as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Edelbrock conversion is worthless. You get minimum gains with it. The best ideas are more cubes, find a 350 and put your vortec heads on it and have some fun. Like everything, start with the basics, headers, exhaust, etc. I assume you have a vortec headed 305 with a TBI unit on top.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont forget edelbrock makes a much betetr intake for the tbi small blocks..
Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

also a 7.4L throttle body will help it a lil.... theres alot of potential with a tbi motor.... just alot of it is with hours of data logging and tuning...

just like a carb's 305/350 it will respond teh same, the only difference is you have to tune for any change...

i had a 305 tbi camaro a while back, and i got it to put out some good numbers with a few mods...

cam, edelbrock e-tec heads, edelbrock tbi intake, 7.4L tb, LT's, 2.75" true duals, and chip by pcm 4 less

EDIT: ALL OF THIS WAS DONE ON THE CHEAP.... I WAS WORKING AT AUTO SHOP IN SCHOOL AT THE TIME... WHICH MEANT VERY LITTLE $$

I KNOW I HAD MORE STUFF IN IT JUST DONT REMEMEBR OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YenkoST
The Edelbrock conversion is worthless. You get minimum gains with it. The best ideas are more cubes, find a 350 and put your vortec heads on it and have some fun. Like everything, start with the basics, headers, exhaust, etc. I assume you have a vortec headed 305 with a TBI unit on top.

305 i hate to say it, but it was one of the worst GM engines, you cant get that much power out of it. find a cheap 350 like yenko said and mod that.

good luck
Old 05-23-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies guys, tuning is not an issue with me workign where i work. We do some of the best tuning in the US muchless Texas. So i have the tools at my disposal. Im mainly trying to get an idea for us what to look out for. Whats the downfall on these motors and tuning capabilities. Right now just looking at a nice DD. She aint treating me right lately i know she has about had it. I have to get my camaro runnign before i can put my truck under the knife which sucks. Not looking for a whole lot of Horsepower per say because thats all relative and really means very little to me. Im not a dyno number guy. Just lookin for some pep in my step and an all together better running truck. Only deal is as i said we dont deal with TBI trucks or cars any. Its old, our main source is LSx motors. That said just wanting to know what to watch for.

Thanks for the replies fellas!
-Marcus
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

NO PROBLEM MARCUS... I KNOW EVERYONE HATES THE 305... BUT THATS JUST THAT SIZE MATTERS MENTALITY THAT EVERYONE FALLS INTO...

THE 305 IS THE SAME AS A 350 JUST A LIL LESS CUBES....

THEY RESPOND PRETTY WELL TO MODS JUST LIKE THE 350, AND YOU CAN EVEN TURN A 305 INTO A 350 RELATIVELY EASILY... I HAVE MADE QUITE A BIT OF MONEY MAKING STOCK 305 TBI MOTORS RUN WELL.

I KNOW I WILL PROBABLY GET FLAMED ALOT FOR SAYING THIS... BUT I DONT CARE.... ANYONE WHO HAS EVER ACTUALLY SPENT SOME TIME WITH A 305 INSTEAD OF AUTOMATICALLY SWAPPING IT OUT FOR A 350 WILL KNOW THEY HAVE POTENTIAL, THEY ARE JUST HEAVILY CRITICISED BECAUSE THE MISSING 45 CUBES. SAME AS THOSE WHO ALWAYS SAY SWAP TO A 6.0 INSTEAD OF WORKING ON YOUR 4.8 OR 5.3.... THATS A NOVEL IDEA... BUT IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO YOU CAN MAKE POWER WITH THEM... MAYBE NOT AS MUCH...

BUT IF YOU JUST WANNA FIX WHAT YOU GOT... DO IT.... I THINK YOULLE BE SUPRISED THAT 305 WILL WAKE UP... GRANTED YOUR NOT GONNA BREAK ANY RECORDS... BUT IF YOUR JUST LOOKING TO MAKE IT PICK UP A LIL QUICKER.... IT CAN BE DONE

GOOD LUCK BRO.... SINCE THIS THREAD WILL PROBABLY CRITICISED TO ALL HELL AFTER THIS, JUST DROP ME A PM AND ILL TALK TO YOU ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO..
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHEVRACER83
NO PROBLEM MARCUS... I KNOW EVERYONE HATES THE 305... BUT THATS JUST THAT SIZE MATTERS MENTALITY THAT EVERYONE FALLS INTO...

THE 305 IS THE SAME AS A 350 JUST A LIL LESS CUBES....

THEY RESPOND PRETTY WELL TO MODS JUST LIKE THE 350, AND YOU CAN EVEN TURN A 305 INTO A 350 RELATIVELY EASILY... I HAVE MADE QUITE A BIT OF MONEY MAKING STOCK 305 TBI MOTORS RUN WELL.

I KNOW I WILL PROBABLY GET FLAMED ALOT FOR SAYING THIS... BUT I DONT CARE.... ANYONE WHO HAS EVER ACTUALLY SPENT SOME TIME WITH A 305 INSTEAD OF AUTOMATICALLY SWAPPING IT OUT FOR A 350 WILL KNOW THEY HAVE POTENTIAL, THEY ARE JUST HEAVILY CRITICISED BECAUSE THE MISSING 45 CUBES. SAME AS THOSE WHO ALWAYS SAY SWAP TO A 6.0 INSTEAD OF WORKING ON YOUR 4.8 OR 5.3.... THATS A NOVEL IDEA... BUT IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO YOU CAN MAKE POWER WITH THEM... MAYBE NOT AS MUCH...

BUT IF YOU JUST WANNA FIX WHAT YOU GOT... DO IT.... I THINK YOULLE BE SUPRISED THAT 305 WILL WAKE UP... GRANTED YOUR NOT GONNA BREAK ANY RECORDS... BUT IF YOUR JUST LOOKING TO MAKE IT PICK UP A LIL QUICKER.... IT CAN BE DONE

GOOD LUCK BRO.... SINCE THIS THREAD WILL PROBABLY CRITICISED TO ALL HELL AFTER THIS, JUST DROP ME A PM AND ILL TALK TO YOU ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO..
im not flaming bro, just giving my side so i dont look like an ***.

i had a 78 Nova with a 305 and it was rough to get parts, and it was just wasnt that good of an engine, now, its not just 45 cubes, it gets down to bore and stroke of the internal engine. neither can be compensated to increase high power gains. not saying you cant max it out, but bang for buck, get a 350.

Quick Reply: 305 vortec TBI