Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

383 is running now I have a problem Help Motor guys please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 12:21 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 is running now I have a problem Help Motor guys please help

The motor cranked first try! Everything is good except for one small thing. The headers are glowing red after about 5 min of running. The oil pressure is good holding at 35 lbs. The timing is at 6 degrees. Vacume advance is unhooked. I am running a carb with a fuel pressure regulator and I have 5 lbs of pressure at the carb. The engine temp is at 180 degrees. Everything seems to be in line but the headers are just getting cherry red. The only thing I can think of is the plugs may be to hot. I am going to swap the plugs in the morning and see what that does. Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks
Dock
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Either way too lean from something plugged in the carb or the float level set way too low, or the timing is too low. Depending on the cam and compression you may need more like 20* timing at idle. If you have a stock distributor this would cause your total timing to be way too high though. That is the only 2 things that could cause the headers to get cherry red.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also, the outer ring on the balancer is known to slip on the inner ring causing your timing mark to be off. It would slip in the direction that would cause you to be more retarded than you actually are. This problem isn't nearly as common as it was 20+ years ago. If you have an old balancer I would consider it once you have ruled everything else out.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

The distributor is a pro bilet msd. Do you think I could be advanced one tooth to many on the distributor. I can swap the plug wires to the left or right if this is the case. Its been along time since I messed around with a carb so I got some reading to do to get that tuned. I will try to look at the floats today and check everything over again with fresh eyes.

Dock
Old 05-27-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Too rich.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with MJH you are way lean, way ( timing ) retarded, or both. If the engine has good to great throttle response and does not stumble on acceleration it would point to the timing.
Initial timing at 20+ and total around 28 are good starting points before you start tuning. A wideband O2 is probably the best tuning aid available short of a Mustang style chassis dyno IMHO.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:34 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Too hot of plugs wont make the headers glow red.

timing too retarded

peace
PAuly
Old 05-28-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 383 did the same thing on break in but once I started driving it....all was fine. The headers stopped glowing red and it idles and runs just fine. I had a little fine tuning to do with mine, I was a little rich at idle and lean up top.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

ive seen the headers glow from runnin too lean on my uncles old trucks.. he would richen it up just a touch, and it would be fine.
so i guess you get the point dock?
haha.. ill be home this weekend, i would love to come look at the truck...
ill keep in touch with ya.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Just so you're completely confused now, the problem is not timing or plugs, it's too rich. The unburned fuel from the cylinder is continuing to burn in the headers. That's why the heads are cool while the pipes are red hot. I've done it while trying to make an fmu work. In addition to red hot pipes, flames would shoot out the open exhaust on let-up from a full- throttle blast. If it was too lean, the pipes would be normal but the heads and pistons would overheat and ping. In any case, let us know what you find.

Last edited by AintNoHo; 05-31-2006 at 02:08 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: 383 is running now I have a problem Help Motor guys please help