Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4.10 vs. 3.73, general gear questions (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4.10 vs. 3.73, general gear questions (long)

Alright, I've received some advice that to get some more power (that I can feel, since I don't want to swap out the converter), I should consider 4.10 gears instead of my stock 3.73's. Problem is, I don't know anything about gears. I've done some searching and reading, but I've been coming up short in the knowledge arena. So I need some help.

One of the things I seem to read is that the actual 'gears' are different from the other stuff (G80 limited slip, Eaton posi, etc.). Is this the case? Is gear replacement different from a posi installation or replacement? Are these two different things? If so, does that mean I can replace my 3.73 gears with 4.10 gears, and leave the G80 part? What brands of gears are good?

The other thing I am concerned with is strength. I've heard that the stock G80 is weak....is that true? If so, do I need to put something else in when I do the gears? If so, what should go in there? I've also heard that a good aftermarket cover made out of stainless or aluminum will go a long way toward keep the rear end together. Is this true?

I've also heard that not just anyone can do gears, that it's a delicate operation and it can be screwed up pretty easily. Is this the case? If so, what should I watch out for when it comes to looking for a shop? There's ORW and 4 Wheel Parts around here, I'm wondering if they would be good places to check out.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man I went from 3.42's to 4.10's in my silvreado 2003, I love them, IMO, Strange is the best gear made. I have absolutly no noise coming from my rear end, and there only about 190$ a set, and make sure you get the Deluxe installation kit that comes with the bearings, I made that mistake and paid almost 250$ just for the bearings and with the deluxe installatiion kit they come with all the parts and bearings for about 85$. STAY AWAY FROM RICHMOND, i have heard they make alot of noise. I paid 325$ for installation and it took about 6 hours. Times are 16.3@84 with headers and airintake, went to 4.10's and a computer tune(which you need for the gears to calibrate your speedo) dropped to time in my sig. Greatest investment for me so far. Gas mileage takes a little hit, but not enough to be noticed, i run 93octane with 4.10's and run about close to 400 miles a tank. Hope this helps
Old 10-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

www.strangeengineering.net is the site where i got mine, if im correct i think if you have a 99 and up silverado, then you should have a 8.5 10bolt, dont quote me but I think thats what you have
Old 10-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Banned

About looking at shops, i would look for a shop that has a history in dragracing
Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naked AV
One of the things I seem to read is that the actual 'gears' are different from the other stuff (G80 limited slip, Eaton posi, etc.). Is this the case?
Is gear replacement different from a posi installation or replacement? Are these two different things? If so, does that mean I can replace my 3.73 gears with 4.10 gears, and leave the G80 part?
Yea they are different. You can change out the posi, or change out the gears seperatly. You could leave the G80 and change the gears to 410s.

The other thing I am concerned with is strength. I've heard that the stock G80 is weak....is that true? If so, do I need to put something else in when I do the gears? If so, what should go in there?
I think its a universal knowledge around here that the eaton posi is the way to go. I just got one and they run anywhere from 350-400.

I've also heard that a good aftermarket cover made out of stainless or aluminum will go a long way toward keep the rear end together. Is this true?
T/A girdle and stud kit is about as good as they get I think. Do a search and im sure there will be plenty of info
Old 10-23-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Grrr, Thunder has a nice 10% off sale through tomorrow (Sunday), but they only have Strange 4.10's for 7.5" rear ends, no 8.5 inchers!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Banned

you can get the strange 4.10's for like 180 from the website i posted above
Old 10-23-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Alright, got it - thanks. Guess I'll place the order on Monday....
Old 10-23-2004, 11:45 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty sure the GM 10bolt is actually a 8.6" ring gear

http://www.aam.com/technology/tech_p...araxle860.html
Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

all good info for you here...except the richmond part...they're fine..the noise comes from a backlash tolerance the installer missed on...unless youre doin slicks & power over 500 at the wheel, that 10 bolt will be fine...the g80 is fine also...get the backing plate, and invest in a c-clip eliminator...i suppose 10-bolts still have c-clips, i run 9 inch in anything with power but i have a g80 in my RST and have seen many 10-bolts take severe abuse time after time

Quick Reply: 4.10 vs. 3.73, general gear questions (long)