Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4.3???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Id say spray it, cam it and the basic bolt ons. Also start saving for the famed 6l swap, because once you've been on this site a couple of weeks, you cant get off, and nothing is fast enough. I wanted my Z-71 to run 14's N/A. Now I'm looking for 12's on motor.
Got away from my 4.3L.
Somebody say 12s?!?!?! I wanna be in that club!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01Blue4.8
I've torn up modded 4.3's when I had nothing but a flowmaster
Then the 4.3's weren't built right to begin with. The two I built and the ton's I've seen can take any abuse you throw at 'em, and they're almost scary fast.

Remember: a 4.3 is basically a 350 with two cylinders chopped off. So if a 350 is tough, it stands to reason a 4.3 would be.

I agree it takes a "little" more money to build one, and there's not a lot of guys that do (so help/ advice is usually scarce), but if it's done right you can make one scream, AND you've got something everybody else doesn't have.

Remember the Grand National's... those are ALL V6's and they'll outrun any STOCK truck on here, and a lot of the built one's.

J
Old 12-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

what do the 2 that you built run in the 1/4 and what are the mods...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rotaryboy
I have the 4.3 liter v6 in my truck (silverado 1500 2000) and I haven't seen much at all about them on this page. Does no1 mess with this motor or automatically take it out and put a bigger one in? I would like to make this truck faster but I have a limited budget to do it with. It is a 5spd and I already have an exhaust and intake on it. Any help would be nice or advise.
thanks
With gears, 100 shot, exhaust/intake- s10's can run mid 12's so i dunno about your truck-

Best mods for a 4.3L
Intake
new y-pipe, exhaust and headers
NITROUS
MSD ignition
CFM-tech throttle body blade or throttle bodies
Edelbrock 2114 intake manifold
Custom tune

i got one in my blazer- i spray a 100 shot on it- go with the coldfusion kit- get a window switch/purge and bottle warmer as a starter- To run the 100 and beyond shot of nitrous you will need a Walbro 255lph intank fuel pump ($100)- since you already got intake and exhaust your fine there- Some people even run a 175 shot on our motors with no problems (yet)-

The block can handle 400whp if enough fuel is there but the stock intake manifold/ and fuel system will not due- Take a look at s10forum.com there thousands of 4.3L enthusiasts there- You will need to take an edelbrock 2114 carburater intake manifold for the 4.3L and send it to one of the three guys on s10forum who convert them to an MPFI set-up (im gonna do it with 42lbs injectors)- alone the 2114 manifold conversion can give you 50whp with a good tune (stock intake manifold is so horrible) Or you could port the intake runners on the intake manifold-

Boost is hard to run on the 4.3L- the fuel system sucks along with the intake manfiold you maybe run 12 intercooler psi if your very lucky but otherwise you need bigger injectors which the only way to do that is stated above-

Heads are key to making big horsepower in this motor- But they can become expensive if you do heads- 1.6roller rockers, port/polish, 3-way valve job, port match them to the intake manifold and headers, and crower valve springs- (if you cam it though and the cam has more than 500 lift you need to stay with 1.5 roller rockers otherwise your valves will say hello to your pistons) Also the 4.3L starts floating valves around 5k rpm so upgrading your valvetrain will allow the shifts to be higher in the rpm range like 5200

For cams i would either go 266AR or 270H (cant remeber exactly what they are but i think those are them)- 266 is a mild cam and 270 is a hard core cam)

If you dont have a custom y-pipe do it now that is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system on the s10's/Blazer's but i dunno about the silverados

Good luck with it (nitrous is safe dont let anyone else tell you otherwise- There are some good stickies in the blowers and bottles forum on s10forum.com)
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Wow thanks alot for that help. I have always liked to make power out of unsuspecting cars and motors and I think this will be my new project. Thanks again for the help and I will keep everyone updated
Old 12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rotaryboy
Wow thanks alot for that help. I have always liked to make power out of unsuspecting cars and motors and I think this will be my new project. Thanks again for the help and I will keep everyone updated
no probelm- i like you your right up my alley- Sleeper is the only way to go- but then i guess i like everyone on here- no one expects a truck to blow their doors off-need any more help just let me know
Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
what do the 2 that you built run in the 1/4 and what are the mods...
I think we hi-jacked this thread...

To be honest, I don't know what either of them did in a 1/4. Drag racings' not my thing (on a track anyway!). I (we, dad helped on the Buick) built 'em for the street, to fawk with 'Stangs and such.

The Cutlass with the Buick 6 was a 150 mph car. I know that for a FACT, and it was scary as ****, let me tell you! That's too damn fast for a college kid... The 4.3 was in an Astro van, and while it wasn't top speed fast, it beat more cars/ trucks then it should've. 'Course, when you've got a good driver...

J

BTW: Rotaryboy - Don't let anybody talk you out of building that 6. I wanna see what you can do with it, and I'll help any way I can.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

count me in 2- im gonna be building a 4.3L on the side w/ a forged bottom end and 10:1 compression w/ a 150 shot on it should be good for low 11's