Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4.8 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 5spd

I have a scsw 4.8 5spd 373 posi. ordered. who else has one. what can I exspect in performance. is a hurst shifter a good investment.what is your best performance upgrade for the money. thanks for your response.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm your man fellow bama boy.
Just be careful with the 2nd - 3rd shift. The tranny doesn't like it hard. Mine has started to get stuck between 3rd and 5th when I beat on it. My opinoion on the shifter is the synchros in the tranny won't let it shift any faster than you can with the stock shifter. you get a little more interior noise with a solid mount shifter and just a waste of money in my opinion. A cat back exhaust and cam would be my best recommendation for performance, oh and a custom tune of course . Might I recomend Gomer. You can pm him here or on ls1tech or his web site gen3performance.net. He is in Alberville and is at Walker Dyno in Trussville(bham) all the time.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamabiker
I have a scsw 4.8 5spd 373 posi. ordered. who else has one. what can I exspect in performance. is a hurst shifter a good investment.what is your best performance upgrade for the money. thanks for your response.

Welcome to the club of the coolest silverado out there, you can now officially use the smiley and mean it. (people use it all the time who have automatics). Anyways, I thought about the hurst shifter but I like the look of the stock one better, and besides the stock one has a throw that's plenty short enough. If this is going to be a daily driver and you want smooth, reliable performance without noise and vibrations I would keep your modding realiistic. I would get a smaller cam for it (if you don't mind cracking the motor apart) and a custom tune. That alone will be plenty for a daily driver to keep the power curve flat, good idle, torque everywhere and decent gas mileage. When you start adding a big cam you get rough idle, decrease in lowend torque, gas mileage goes to hell and your truck won't be enjoyable for those long cross country trips. Keep it simple, keep it clean, keep it enjoyable
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

i LOVE my 4.8 5spd, 3.73 gears...reg cab, stepside...i can chirp em shifting into 3rd easily

have fun withit...and just know that it has trouble in the mud with stock tires at 50%tread left
Old 01-28-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

yes, we're finally all coming together now, haha. If u get all bolt on's (intake, exhaust, tune, headers, throttle body, efans, underdrive pulleys) it's gonna be stout and get good gas mileage and drive better than stock. I have the 1st 4 i mention and with my eaton and 3.73 i still break the tires loose. And i'm guessing this is a 2006 truck, so u'll already have a 15hp advantage over me. But yeah, IMO ur gonna enjoy the 5-speed over the automatic. but do NOT get the hurst shifter, i have one, and yeah it's a nice looking shifter and all, but isn't gonna improve shifts or track times. I can shift 1-2 quicker, but the 2-3rd shift can get missed a lot easier with the hurst. Here's a picture of mine, sorry it's a little lopsided
Old 01-28-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh believe me..if i had it my way i'd have a 6.0 in front of this 4.8...lol
Old 02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Went and test drove an 05 4x4 today for my dad, 4.8 5-speed peg leg with 3.42 gears. Be glad you got the 3.73s, cause the 3.42's made this truck slower than christmas, well at least to 60 anyhow. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference between them but it was HUGE. In my truck, doing 30 or so in 2nd and just romping on it would chirp the tires and take off, this truck doing 30 and stomping on it just feels like it had a sudden gust of wind come up from behind it or something. But, my dad wanted good highway mileage, and i'm sure he'll get it with this truck, but already said he wants to race me to see the difference.......i'm excited.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Youre gonna like it!

I have the same thing with a few mods and i love it. Got 114,000 on it and its still goin strong! Better than ever actually. The 5 speed is awesome to play with!

Derek
Old 02-05-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

My girls truck is a victory red 2000 RCSB stepside 4.8L 5 speed. Sweet looking truck! Its lowered on 18's with a few mods but there are plenty more to come. Very nice and fun to play with! If i get another RC, i think ill order a 4.8L 5 speed next time around. I had the 5.3L auto in my 01 RCSB stepside and it was faster but hers was more fun to drive.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Well, I currently have a modded 4.8 and even with a good amount of mods I am still dissapointed with its capabilties. It is deffinetly fun to drive and will put the smack done on some ricers and the occaisional unsuspecting stock camaro or mustang, but truth be told there is no replacement for displacement. From what I have seen alot of people drive their 4.8 or 5.3 into the ground while saving for that 6.0 upgrade. I am sure you will come to the same conclusion.

Best mods... Tune, Cam, Headers, Clutch, Tires and of course a little juice!

Quick Reply: 4.8 5spd