Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4.8 VS Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 VS Dodge?

I live in a small town and there aren't really many fast cars. I'm the only one my age with anything that is quick but all my friends like to race so they race what they have...trucks.

The fastest truck in town right now is a full size extended cab Dodge. I'm not sure what it has but is a V8 and the owner says he spent 900$ on some kind of fuel management system and a cold air/ram air system. I've also heard it has "two chips" so I really have no clue. The only thing I know for sure about this truck is that he has the exhaust cut off behind the cats.

The second fastest truck is my friends 4.8 Chevy. He has true duels with flow's and he just got a Power Programmer. He thinks he can outrun the truck above now that he has the programmer. The last time they raced he got beat by 3-4 lengths.

I don't really like the guy with the Dodge and I don't like him beating up on my friends Chevy like that. Will the power programmer really help him any? I've always been under the impression that they are useless for LS1's but I'm not sure about the trucks. He's selling his old truck for 3500$ and asked me what he should do to the new one with the money. I told him "cam, headers, stall, gears, and dyno tune". I highly doubt he's going to spend all his money on the truck and he doesn't think you can drive a stalled vehicle on the street.

Can anyone tell me some things he could do to beat this dodge? Whats it going to take to make up 4-5 truck lengths?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it a brand new full size dodge and is you buddys truck a standard or ex cab.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The dodge isn't brand new but is a 2000+. I think an 02-03. I know its not an 04.

My friends truck is a standard cab. I'm not sure what the gearing is but its really high. He never shifts out of second.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:37 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend probably has 3.42 gears. If all you want to do is beat that Dodge, I think the HPP3 might do it. The high gears might be ruining it for your friend.
Here's a vid of me racing a Hemi ext. cab..or quad cab, I don't remember. I had made a title of what was running but it doesn't seem to show up on this vid clip, I may have compressed it incorrectly.
This was me racing him in my rcsb 4.8 sierra, then with 4.10s, K&N intake, Flowmaster muffler, Eaton posi and HPP3.
http://s93278075.onlinehome.us/hemikill.mov
Old 09-03-2004, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The HPP3 might give him four lengths in the 1/4th!? I feel ripped lol. He paid 100$ for the HPP3 and I've got about 1600$ in my car. I only beat stock LS1's by about 3 lengths. Seriously that dodge beat him pretty bad. I'll be shocked if all it takes is a programmer to gain that much.

I think my friends driving might have had something to do with the loss to the dodge or atleast it might have been closer. He was manually shifting his auto and he hit the limiter in second right at the end. He was going to get beat anyway but that might have been why the distance was so far.

Beating that dodge is not all he wants to do but its the goal for now. He just wants to have the fastest truck out of our group. But I'm sure as soon as he wins there will be someone after him. There are a few old school trucks in the works but right now the 4.8 is the only truck that has a chance. My friend went unbeaten till this dodge came along. It came as a shock to everyone. They have a pretty good compitition going lol. They got busted a couple weeks back and another friend of mine got his truck inpounded. Three trucks were involved. The dodge mentioned above was the only one that got away. One turned down a dead end road and the other finally gave up after being chased back into town.

Come on guys...what are some real mods he can do?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The best mod for the money is a 6L swap just my 0.02.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I've already told him about that but he seems to think its to much work.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stall converters will only hurt street racing because of traction. If i were him, i'd put something like a comp cam 212/218 with a set of long tube headers, and a dyno tune. and of course intake and exhaust of some kind. Guarantee that that dodge will be waxed.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I know what you mean about traction issues but he's wanting to get some good tires for it when the ones he has wears out. I was going to suggest some Nitto's but right now he can barely spin the stockers. I figured we would worry about traction when he could actually break it lol. I guess I'm so interested in his truck because I've been thinking about selling the SS and getting an ls based truck. I want him to go all out so I can see what it will do. He really wants a cam so maybe I can talk him into it.

If he actually decides to dump some money in it I think I'm just going to suggest that we take it to thunder racing and let them hook it up.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does he have the G80 or jsut an open diffy?

Because... soon he will have traction problems.

With the mods in my sig and an open differential, I have to grandma into the throttle. I bet with what I have now and another 900 bucks for a LSD with some 3.73 or lower end and a TCI streetfighter I'ld be fast as crap.

Tell your buddy to send that programmer back and get a PCM4less or something like that tune. Man, its a huge difference!

Headers! My shorties seemed to help a lil but you can get like some Hooker LTs w/ 30" primaries. $200-400 respectively.

Intake! Get the K&N FIPK for relatively cheap @ autozone. $200

Cam! The 01 LS6 cam is cheap and isn't bad, but probobly not as good as the comp 212/218. $150-500 depending on which way he goes.

Stall! Get a TCI streetfigher that has about a 3200 stall. $450

Traction! If he already has the LSD, he just needs some Nittos for about $250

Custom Tune! PCMforless will do a nice job. $250

About $1800 and he's fricking fast!!!

And of course..... he could also bottle it for about $550
Then he would be one of the fastest trucks in a 300 mile radius.

Quick Reply: 4.8 VS Dodge?