Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

40 Series vs 50 Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40 Series vs 50 Series

I know I know the subject on flowmasters has been beat to death..

Currently I have a 40 series on the truck with no pipes comming out so it dumps the exhaust right below the cab..

I got hold of a 50 series and its sitting in the truck.

I love the sound it makes but that drone sound at 1.8-2.2K rpm makes my freakin head wanna explode.

would adding pipe to take it to the back get rid of that sound? OR would I have to put the 50 series on?

I heard 50 series were MUCH quieter then 40's.. and the sound isn't as aggressive..
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
would adding pipe to take it to the back get rid of that sound? OR would I have to put the 50 series on?
I have true duels with 40's out the back below the bumper, I put a rollpan on and had to cut the pipes, so I cut'em right after the rearend and bent'em down, was going to put them back on to the rear when the rollpan was finish. I like the look of no pipes and the sound is the same as out the back no noise in cab.

I heard 50 series were MUCH quieter then 40's.. and the sound isn't as aggressive..
yes this is true
Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

I would try and stay away from flowmaster if at all possible but if you have your heart set on it then go with the new 44 series, they are designed to disperse drone better and prevent as much interior resonance, they are basically a 40 series but better
Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if I can get rid of that drone sound without getting a different muffler then I will stick with the 40 that is already on there...

so that's good news I'm gonna add piping to the truck and have it turned down a bit just before the bumpber cause I as well like the looks of no pipes
Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Teching In

I just got dual 40's put on dumped right after the axle. It sounds pretty good to me and actually I haven't noticed any drone, but it could be because of being a long bed also.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zdreamin
I just got dual 40's put on dumped right after the axle. It sounds pretty good to me and actually I haven't noticed any drone, but it could be because of being a long bed also.
I have the same setup short bed no drone
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

unfortunately, my current setup for the past year has been dumped dual flomaster 40's..they were hacked off directly behind the muffler. i too hate this drone. this week im replacing it with LTs, ORY, bullet, and a corsa muffler. i love how quiet the corsa is at idle. like kyle said, stray away from flowmaster if you will.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

flowmaster ain't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.. the 2-3 HP that you lose is not only unnoticeable on the street or on the butt dyno but can easily be made up by other simple bolt on parts.

I'm adding pipes today/tomorrow we'll see if it rids it of the drone
Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Here's my two cents..........I'm like most people, I love the sound of Flowmaster mufflers. IMO, you can't beat the sound of a Flow. I don't like how Magnaflows sound, or Corsa, or Gibson, or Borla.........they sound whimpy to me. Haven't heard a Bassani, so I can't say anything on them, although, I've heard good things. Anywho....back to the subject. I run a single in/single out Super 40 and I love it. It's loud when you're goin WOT, but it's subtle when you're just cruising. Cruising down the street at like 35 or less you won't even notice it. Even at 70 or 80 it isn't bad.........so, if you want to stick to your guns on Flowmaster go right ahead and go with some more piping and see what happens. Let us know how it turns out man.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm interested to see how this turns out (or down, as the case may be) as well.

Quick Reply: 40 Series vs 50 Series