Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

408 teardown, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I am not an expert but I am 99% sure you were fat as hell and I bet you washed the bearing out with fuel. The pistons should not look anything like that!!!!!!!!!!! How did you tune this motor? Do you have a A/F ratios of what it was running through the rpm range?

Again I am not an expert but I am confident this was the main issue.
Those pistons dont look bad at all, he would have to be running WAAAYYY rich to get enough fuel in the oil to wash the bearings. He has a wideband and was running in the 11s. My initial motor tune on my 418 was in the 9s and I drove on almost a 1000 mile road trip and there was no problem with the bearings and no fuel smell from the oil.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
... Im not sure where you are referring to on the crank rod bearings...
They don't look brand-new, and when I tore my 6.0 apart, at 70,000 +- miles, 20 some thousand boosted, the rod bearings looked better than yours. As a 408, my rod bearings looked like yours. Also, a different engine shop than the one that I used told me that my rings showed evidence of gasoline wash, and I too was seeing as rich as 11.3:1. They told me to go to a dyno shop, not to tune, but to verify my oxygen sensor. (Still haven't yet ) What about it, as 1slow01Z71 brought up, did your oil always stink of fuel? Just trying to throw ideas at you.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Oh the bearings, I thought you meant the journals on the crank, yea I agree the bearings look bad, but does the crank look fine? The crank is what I am more concerned about.

I just reviewed hp tuners logs of when I was on the dyno versus the dyno sheet that plotted AFR, and my wideband compared to the dyno AFM 1000 is very close, so I dont think excessive fuel was an issue. The oil never smelled heavily of gas.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
... but does the crank look fine? ...
Your crank's so fine I'd like to make it mine ,... as long as it measures OK and is straight.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed for updates. Sorry to hear about all of this, hope you get it all worked out with as little pain and money as possible.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have the crank polished before re-using it. That looks like some serious micro scratches for that short of mileage, especially have it done since you got into the copper of the bearings.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I am not an expert but I am 99% sure you were fat as hell and I bet you washed the bearing out with fuel. The pistons should not look anything like that!!!!!!!!!!! How did you tune this motor? Do you have a A/F ratios of what it was running through the rpm range?

Again I am not an expert but I am confident this was the main issue.
Im 99% confident your a jackass and dont belong giving advice on this site or any other for that fact from what "advice" ive seen you give out..

Now on to the real matter, atomic you either have a lubrication(obvious i know, but more in depth) problem or the engine builder just threw this thing together by looking at all the bearings..
also have you cleaned off the piston tops good to see if there is any damage or signs of detonation?

Last edited by skolman91; 10-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bummer it happened, I'd agree either oiling or sloppy build, but either way it'll be resolved with a rebuild. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
Im 99% confident your a jackass and dont belong giving advice on this site or any other for that fact from what "advice" ive seen you give out..

Now on to the real matter, atomic you either have a lubrication(obvious i know, but more in depth) problem or the engine builder just threw this thing together by looking at all the bearings..
also have you cleaned off the piston tops good to see if there is any damage or signs of detonation?
Youve noticed that too huh?

Im going to go with the main bore not being checked as some of those mains look "ok" and the thrust and front look pretty bad for such low miles.

You going to build the next motor yourself or is the machine shop going to help out at all?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
That is normal. Especially on a FI engine where you are running on the rich side. They will look like that after a few minutes of running. The lighter color is just not covered with carbon yet.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I agree...most of the LS engines that I've seen are carbon monsters, even after just a short while of running...
Good for raising CR.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
...Im going to go with the main bore not being checked as some of those mains look "ok" and the thrust and front look pretty bad for such low miles.

You going to build the next motor yourself or is the machine shop going to help out at all?
Wow! Tough crowd.

Anyway, I was wondering the same thing about who'll build it. I'm guessing u want to put this 1 together yourself? Sorry to hear of your unfortunate luck.

Quick Reply: 408 teardown, pics inside