Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

408 teardown, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

haha, no kidding, I just saw that. I just have callies rods, and they appear to be perfect

brick, they look like AL? I would prefer like 1/2" steel to weld on to the tube if it were me, but im sure those will work.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Intresting... I am not sure about there quality but would assume it usally good as I have not heard anything bad. What about the company that did the short block? The way the bearing burned looks like you have an issue with the way the crank was machined. You may also have an issue with the block but only a reputable machine shop would be able to check that out correctly.

When they checked the Crankshaft journals they are supposed to check it at the center and at the outer edges near the fillet. They are also supposed to rotate measuring in different spots around the journal using a mic to checking for proper size.

It is very common these days since every thing is mass produced to have a journal be just out of spec. One of the local crank grinders had a batch of 20 name brand LS stroker cranks that had thrust journal issuess. Needles to say The builder found out 30 minutes after fireing the engine up and breaking it in on the dyno. On tear down he realized the main journal was hot in one spot. Just enough to make the cleareance to tight and eat the bearing. They started randomly grabing cranks out of the batch and relized they should have looked closer. After proply checking the journal they discovered it was to tight on one side near the fillet. The whole batch had to be corrected...
I remember being told / taught yrs. ago of multiple check points.
I just saw some info on this exact thing: to measure in 4 spots. One opposite of ea. side of another (that makes 2 checks, spin it 90°, & repeat "miking" there opposite of ea. other (2 more). 4 total.

Do all journals in that manner. Somewhere it said ~2 hrs. to do it right. Granted, I've only done a couple builds yrs. ago, but I'd think just measure all journals at 2 spots, then spin it 90° & check those 2 spots. I'd only do this if record keeping was top notch, so as not to confuse. Just the same, if it took longer, what's that extra time worth in the end, on a build that could well be in the $1000's?!?

Scary on the bad batch!

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Sorry to hear about your motor issues, thinking I need to start a thread too!

btw...
1Fastbrick knows his

Also on most stroker set-ups the piston skirt will come out of the cylinder at BDC and 'wobble' which slightly rounds the bottom edge of the cylinder walls as well as scuff's the piston.
Oh great! It's contagious.

Agreed, he does.

Also, IIRC, that's why they extended skirts on the Gen IV LS2, to minimize wobble at bottom.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a gauge for that

After talking to a few shops so far LME has impressed me the most...
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LMR uses LME to build their motors and they build the fastest ls based vehicles in the world... HKE was hard to get ahold of and seemed like they werent interested in helping me since I wasnt buying parts through them back in teh day when I was dealing with my 418 and 420 issues.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea, I am getting the same impression from HKE; multiple emails and no call since he said he would call me instead of giving me his phone number. Apparently LME built that 2600hp engine in the firebird at the LSx shootout.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LME also built the warhawk 427 in RCCs vette thats putting down north of 1600rwhp and soon should be over 2000 with his new build. LME would be getting my business if I was going to get someone to build my motor. 2toneblown uses them for his speed shop too.

The only thing I can say about HKE right now is you know theyre rediculously busy due to the LSX shootout and the mile coming up. Racing season is getting here and there are a lot of motors to be built. Last time I heard they had almost a 2 month backlog, may be why he isnt too quick to answer to a maybe type email.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

I figured the end of the year would be the slow time and spring would be busy....shows how much I know
Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats who is putting my 408 together LME, i also tried to get ahold of erick to no avail but oh well doner talked to pacos and its on
Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear its coming together david...i can't wait to see it running wit a 408..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

How dare you SomBitches say I know any thing...

Quick Reply: 408 teardown, pics inside