Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

427 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with having a stroker for a DD?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

They have increased piston wear due to piston rock at the bottom of the stroke....this really isnt as big of an issue as you think. The LS3 based blocks have longer sleeves so its fine with those.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
They have increased piston wear due to piston rock at the bottom of the stroke....this really isnt as big of an issue as you think. The LS3 based blocks have longer sleeves so its fine with those.
Take this and factor in the gas a big cube motor will guzzle and the added cost of building it. Where as a stock or mild 5.3/6.0 on boost or juice would still get near stock mpg's and may still outrun a mild 4XXci motor.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, if you're dead set on NA, I'd just be looking at some of the preassembled and balanced shortblocks out there. What is your budget you planned on working with?
Did you already have the 6.0 block?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

naturally aspirated...it's like watching baseball with no steroids

no thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

...so... you get excited watching baseball on steroids?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShredSled
...so... you get excited watching baseball on steroids?
Lol. Yea I have a 6.0 already. The budget is not one as I'm not in a rush to get it done. But with labor and parts I think I can have the engine installed for total of $6500- 7500. The na thing is fun but maybe a supercharger down the road but not for sure. The funny juice is not my thing. But is a blast to watch sometimes.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 PM
I have a gauge for that

If you want that feel of a big NA engine, try out a procharger. The power comes on different than a turbo or roots-style supercharger; it feels like a huge NA engine since the boost increases with RPM only.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
If you want that feel of a big NA engine, try out a procharger. The power comes on different than a turbo or roots-style supercharger; it feels like a huge NA engine since the boost increases with RPM only.
maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to say, but can't the same be said for any power adder that's crank driven? As well as a turbo, being that exhaust gas velocity is generally related to RPMs as well (although I realize there are more variables with the turbo)?

To the OP, slow down, take a minute, relax. Think about what you are trying to do. A stroked DD is not a good idea, if you dont have a back up to drive when it breaks. And its not a matter of "if it breaks"...it WILL break eventually. Pushing a motor close to the edge on a daily basis will find weak spots, either in the sub-par manufacture quality, part design, something. I hate to be the nay-sayer, but I broke a rocker arm bolt on my drive home once. Sounded awful, luckily it was an easy fix. Its just a bad thing to do when you rely of the vehicle to take you to work. If I had it to do over, I would not have changed anything internally (I'm only heads/cam/exhaust). Just too much to be concerned with for my comfort level. Stay bolt ons on the DD and get a toy, or a beater to drive.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you ask pretty much anyone on this board that is running a stroked engine, I'm willing to bet that they have another vehicle if something goes wrong.

Last edited by 03 BLACKOUTSSS; 12-01-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
I have a gauge for that

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to say, but can't the same be said for any power adder that's crank driven? As well as a turbo, being that exhaust gas velocity is generally related to RPMs as well (although I realize there are more variables with the turbo)?
Not exactly. Typical blowers and turbos are more related to throttle position. For instance thats what makes a big roots supercharger tricky at low speeds; it has a huge torque increase with just a small change in throttle and not necessarily rpm.

Quick Reply: 427 6.0