Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

43lb injectors installed, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 43lb injectors installed, need help

My brother and I installed the new 43lb injectors last night. It took at least 3 hours. total pain in the ***. anyway, i then dove into the wiring harness to remove the whipple stuff. What a nightmare. as far as I could tell, there were 3 factory wires that had been cut, each end spliced into a whipple wire. I put those back together. Then there were 4 or 5 wires that the whipple wires were simply spliced into, so i removed those. Of course I didn't think ahead, i had no soldering iron or wire crimps. tape for now.
I hope I did that right. Was I supposed to also unhook the whipple 36 way connector from the whipple computer? Do I remove the 2 relay thingies that are hooked to the firewall? should I remove the power supply and ground to whe whipple? Someone help a brotha out.

So anyway, I put the new tune in, turned the key, and gas sprayed all over. We dropped one of the blue O rings off of the fuel rail. Fixed that, turned the key, and to my surprise, it started. That has never happened before when installing a new tune. No PassLock. I took it for a short drive. it feels very weak and there's a lot of smoke/fumes coming out of the exhaust. my fuel pressure is no higher than it usually is, 55 or so at idle. Any thoughts???
Old 06-25-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Did you get the tune specifically for the 43 lb injectors? If not it is running extremely rich.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha. you have to set the injector flow rate, and possible the injector offset. Congrats on getting it hookep up! i need to do the same conversion myself
Old 06-25-2004, 10:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a max HP rating on those injectors? Or are they rated in some other fashion?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

there you are, i replied to your post awhile back but you never did. if you completely removed all the wiring that was coming out of the harness, it is disconnected. there should be no wires from the whipple hooked to anything regarding your pcm, so there is'nt any reason not to unhook the power. you can leave the boost a pump hooked up to power. the stock fuel pressure reg is sort of adjustable, you need a security torx[indent in the tip]. i got a couple extra pounds out of it. get a soldering iron and fix that wiring asap if one of those wires disconnects and grounds, you can have major fry problems. so was your pcm tuned for the inj's ? allen nailed mine on the first shot. the ifr and timing need to be changed or it just falls on it's face. you must have missed the posts where i warned about dropping the "blue thingy's", at least yours did'nt drop under the intake manifold. go ahead and unplug the aux inj's, if you did the wiring right they are'nt doing anything anyway. sounds like the wiring was correct 3 intercepted wires 2 o2 sensors and the maf. the " nelson tune for whipple" is back on the front page for now if you need to refer to it. e
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry i should have netioned this,since your setup is older than mine and i don't know the wire routing. if any harnesses are routed into the whipple then to the pcm you need to return them to stock. that's the magic word, you need to get the wiring essentially beck to stock for this to work. e
Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, i had a chance to drive it a little more today. The smoke is gone. I think it was probably the oil we put on the injectors before installing them. etc. I did see your post about the blue o ring. we were so damn tired by the time we put the thing back together, we forgot all about it. lol. I'm glad to hear i did the wiring right. So let me get this straight, i need to leave the whipple harness plugged in or not. there's of course all kinds of wires just hanging in there now. Also, my fuel pressure gauge isn't working now since i unplugged the aux inj wires. Can I plug them back in or can i put the fuel gauge connector somewhere else?

The truck seems to run strong when i hammer it. but, when just cruising, it feels kinda weak. I didn't change to the smaller pulley yet which he did tune for. could that be why?
Old 06-25-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey denali, well the truck is running that's a good sign. ok, it should'nt matter whether the harness is plugged in or not since you returned the wiring to stock. like i said, since i don't know exactly how your system is wired it's hard for me to say. since your truck is running i'm assuming all is well. if there are any leads that are going to the whipple computer figure out how to get them back to stock. i said disconnect the inj's because they should'nt be doing anything any way, i don't know how you have your fuel pressure gauge wired, are you drawing current off the inj trigger wire ? if so it should'nt work anyway because the whipple should'nt be supplying any current to them. maybe you can elaborate on that. your truck may be running poorly at cruise because of the tune for more boost [without the boost]. he would pull alot of timing out to stop detonation. or possibly your ifr is off a little and your running to rich. it's a process that takes some time and requires good feedback from you. a logging program helps alot, that way you can really see what's going on. don't forget to solder those wires. e