Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4in CAI tube options

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy down here in Port Lavaca can get custom silicone radiator hoses so im gonna see how much it is for a new upper
Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I was gonna chop off a portion of the waterpump neck and then put on a 1.25 90* elbow so it faces forward.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running my homemade air intake that I have made actually out of just 4" drain/sewer pipe for about 2 months now but I may still use something different but I am happy with the function of it. I actually ran the tubing and filter outside of the engine bay down behind the front bumper where it's always scooping up nice fresh air.

I was trying to post a pic from my phone but I can't seem to do it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
I have been running my homemade air intake that I have made actually out of just 4" drain/sewer pipe for about 2 months now but I may still use something different but I am happy with the function of it. I actually ran the tubing and filter outside of the engine bay down behind the front bumper where it's always scooping up nice fresh air.

I was trying to post a pic from my phone but I can't seem to do it.
No heatsoak issues? Also did you notice any loss in throttle response? Few threads i read on tech mentioned it may happen due to the bigger volume dropping velocity
Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ls2 tb's are seeing a pretty solid 15hp by going to 4" and out side of the engine bay..
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use 4" sewer pipe for my intake also with a 4" 90 and i used the factory rubber coupler on the throttle body. i have mine wrapped in several layers of heat tape. i also have a custom box i made outta thick plastic with a clear lid thats wrapped in heat wrap tape also and my maf is inside the box right after the filter. i also use one of those big spectra air filters from autozone. it works pretty good, but my mods are nothing compared to you guys just free mods fwiw.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

No sir no heat soak issues, since I built this intake the truck is much more consistent from run to run at the track. Throttle response is excellent, I am very pleased with the overall performance. Before I made the intake and decided to use 4" tubing I had also read the theory about the lack of velocity with using the bigger tubing but I have not noticed any negative effects at all.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS
No sir no heat soak issues, since I built this intake the truck is much more consistent from run to run at the track. Throttle response is excellent, I am very pleased with the overall performance. Before I made the intake and decided to use 4" tubing I had also read the theory about the lack of velocity with using the bigger tubing but I have not noticed any negative effects at all.
Exactly what i was wanting to know and hear! Thanks man
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

No problem man. Here is a quick pic I took when I was just starting to mock it up on the truck and just had the filter still under the hood but I think the tubing looks like a pretty clean install.
Attached Thumbnails 4in CAI tube options-intake.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I think those are kinda spendy, no?
Find em used on tech and here all the time. The 2010 camaros and I believe the newer truck motors with VVT have them.

Quick Reply: 4in CAI tube options