Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4l80 swappers, who's converter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80 swappers, who's converter?

For those that have done the swap to a 4l80, who did you go with for a verter? Assuming you kept the lock up, etc, etc.

Got my 80 core coming, and working on the x-member now. If i can find a converter source that actually understands the needs/traits of a turbo converter i'll be set.

tanks
Old 09-02-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Pretty sure Parish had a Yank converter and switched to a PI converter with his '80e.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Precision Industries also.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Coan.....But I have not driven it yet.

Kurt
Old 09-02-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Kurt, you break the 60 again?? I'm making a preemptive strike on the current one
Old 09-02-2004, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

The 65e is still in it. It skips sometimes in first although I have 10,000 miles on it now. We have the timing go to zero when it shifts so the clutches have been fine.It still breaks the low roller sprag if I launch it hard to many times. I leave at 4lbs and then run about 10-11 in third. I went the 12.23 at about 13 psi, that converter was a Yank....it lasted 6 days. Right now I have a stock converter in it so I been easy on it. It made 457hp on our 4wd dyno at 14psi. Can't wait to get the 80e in it with some 100 octane and boost!! Also looking to change rear axle ratio (3.73 now) to help turn those tall 20's.
Let me know when you run it, i'm curious what yours will do. Is yours 2wd?

Kurt
Originally Posted by y2khawk
Kurt, you break the 60 again?? I'm making a preemptive strike on the current one
Old 09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had issues with yank. for one they sold me a 9.5" single disk converter knowing i was planing on a 408 with lots of boost and nitrous. i told him 900rwhp some day. now after doing some research most people agree that converter was not well suited to the torque and weight of my set up. they missed the stall speed by about 1500rpm(way loose) the first time and their customer service prety much blows.

i now have a PI 10.5" tripple disk. you can call and talk to terry(i think) he seems to under stand the issues with geting a converter that will stall higher and still hold with all the tq a turbo can make. my converter will brake stall to about 2400rpm and 2-4psi but you have to time it right because it will only stay there for about 1sec before it pull itself right off the line. the tripple disk has a firm, solid engaugement. there is no doubt when it locks. i am locking it up at about 5000rpm in 2nd and keeping it locked thru the run.

i have some efi logs of runs if you want to see what the rpms are doing, let me know if i should look for a good log.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harlan - How long have you had the Livernois turbo kit? What do you think of it?

You've been complaining about your trucks transmission for a year. Might as well throw a power adder at it, right?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went with a Hughes converter. The guys there talked and talked about stuff, not necesarilly converters, but he seemed to know his stuff regardless. It feels really good, not to loose and not to tight. It has a very smooth power flow and keeps everything really smooth. It's a Hughes 10" 3000 I think. At first I thought it was way to loose, but after some mileage got on it, I could stand it to be a little looser, but still have the same stall speed.

Compared to the TT3000, it's not as loose feeling but about the same characteristics. It feels a little more smooth, but I think that's because it's not as loose.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigTex
Harlan - How long have you had the Livernois turbo kit? What do you think of it?

You've been complaining about your trucks transmission for a year. Might as well throw a power adder at it, right?
LOL, yeah that's me

Considering this is the 5th '60 that's been in the truck, and i killed the first 4 NA why not

It's only been on the truck for a little while, couple weeks. Truck is apart right now, again Fixing some things i did, and getting the trans sorted. Thought we toasted this '60 the first night out, cooler circuit was blocked and it got REAL hot. Something in the forward clutch stuck and kept it in gear all the time. Managed to abuse it enough until it popped back and it's been "ok" since then. But with the fuel system getting upgraded along with some other stuff, I know the '60 is on borrowed time.

So far the kit kicks ***

and yes Kurt, 2WD. rollin on 20's

Quick Reply: 4l80 swappers, who's converter?