Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

4L80e or 4L65e??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4L80e or 4L65e??????

Ok. After building 2 4L60e's I am going to need to do something about my trans situation. Is the 65e just as much trouble to put in as the 80e or is it easier??? Also where can I buy one fully built??? thanks
-fitz
Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTNKLR01
Ok. After building 2 4L60e's I am going to need to do something about my trans situation. Is the 65e just as much trouble to put in as the 80e or is it easier??? Also where can I buy one fully built??? thanks
-fitz
65 is pretty much a 60E minus a frew bells and whistles inside the case to my knowledge. The 65E is not NEAR as much of a bitch to install as the 80 is. It doesnt entail all the x-member modding, new harness, shorter driveshaft, etc, etc.. Im leaning towards a 65E myself.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have botht he 60 and 65e tranmissions and the 65e feels a ton better and works well . Yes the 80 will be a pain in the *** but you wont have to mess with your tranny anymore. check FLP.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

The 65 bolts up the exact same as a 60 from what Ive been told. Thats what Im doing with my Tahoe. Im pretty confident it will hold up fine since I drive pretty conservatively. Besides, the 65 Im going with (team tripp) also has a 1 year warranty.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flp is a great place for either tranny, a built 4l60(65 by the time they are done) from flp should take you into the mid 11's or faster. it will just bolt in easy.

a stock 4l80e will take you into the 10's but isn't a bolt in. if you plan on running in the 10's some day i would swap in the 80 right now and not spend any more cash on a 60.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

I've been looking at getting a 65e, and I'm leaning towards having a local shop build it even though I've heard so many horror stories.

The thing that bothers me about ordering a trans, is that if something goes wrong with it, or it shifts way too hard etc.....you have to uninstall it and ship it back to them. For someone that cant be swapping transmissions in their garage repeatedly, this would get expensive having a shop do it. Not to mension the truck would probably be sitting in the shop waiting for the trans to return.....and I assume that any modification to the servos or valve body would void the warranty.

What is FLP's policy on this? If something was wrong with the trans, would they ship out another one to swap it or would you have to ship it back and wait for it?

Are there any write ups on a trans/converter swap?
Old 11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I looked at building my 4L60 to a 65 with almost all the best parts out there at a local transmission shop. As 03GMC said, that way if there are any problems I have a physical location to go back to. However, the mechanic who tore apart my transmission showed me the things that went wrong in mine. Sprag assembly, 1-2 clutches, and 3-4 clutches. He showed me the stretched band as well. A lot of parts, not just one part.

The Radix was in my truck for only 6 months and this happened. To build up the 4L60E strong and the right way, it will probably cost between $2000-3000 if you don't pick up a wrench. FLP chanrges $2850 for the 4L65E.
http://www.flp2win.com/content/trans...asterprice.htm

What made me change my mind was that this transmisison was never intended to handle 400+rwhp AND the design of the transmission is poor for performance. Yes Parish is right, a Built 4L65E may take you into the 11's, but my question is how long would it last. We see 4L60E's blowing up all around us. Todd@discount direct blew his up in a month or so with the radix. I'm just not sure how much 5 pinion planetaries will improve the overall design of the 4l65E.

On the other hand, you can do some custom fab work and install a 4L80. Yes, it will be more work. But I believe the design of the transmission is better and is stronger in it's stock form like everybody has said. The 80 is designed with more power and torque in mind (thats why its behind the 2500 and 3500's). Put a shift kit in th transmission and have a good feeling that your transmission problems are over for a long time.

It may also be cheaper. I priced 4L80E's in my area out of low mileage 02 and 03 chevy trucks for around 1200-1300 with a stock converter. Add another $1200 for the dip stick, transgo, pig tail for pcm, tuning, fab work, and installation. Roughly 2500, the same as a built 4L60E but stronger.

There are a lot of variables here. Torque converter, labor rates, driving habits, and type of power adders. I'm not a transmission expert, just like to do things once and do them right. A 4L60E will be in my truck this spring. I look at a 4L60 as a built 4 cyl. with 300 hp vs. a V8 with 300. The same reason many people are going with 6.0's rather than 4.8's. You can do the same to both, but the 6.0 is simply a better platform to build on and yields more power with the same mods.

This **** is really long now and I will stop typing. I don't intend to start a war, just state my opinion.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O3GMC
I've been looking at getting a 65e, and I'm leaning towards having a local shop build it even though I've heard so many horror stories.

The thing that bothers me about ordering a trans, is that if something goes wrong with it, or it shifts way too hard etc.....you have to uninstall it and ship it back to them. For someone that cant be swapping transmissions in their garage repeatedly, this would get expensive having a shop do it. Not to mension the truck would probably be sitting in the shop waiting for the trans to return.....and I assume that any modification to the servos or valve body would void the warranty.

What is FLP's policy on this? If something was wrong with the trans, would they ship out another one to swap it or would you have to ship it back and wait for it?

Are there any write ups on a trans/converter swap?
you would have to call up chuck and ask him but in my last truck i broke one of his trannys and he just sent me another one but with some adjustments. the 2nd one lasted up to the point of 10psi and a 100shot, roughly 11.7 i would say at 5200lbs. at that point i started a new project but chuck looked at what broke and designed some new beefier parts.

if you looking at moding your truck far into the future and into the lower 11's then sure, go for the 80 but if you going to be happy with high 11's i think a flp tranny would last for a very long time. i had at least 100 hard(1.6x 60') launches with that tranny in a heavy truck with killer traction.

the gear ratios of the 60 will get you out of the hole better if you can hook. a 4l80e is going to slow you down conisderably, i would estimate you will need 30-60more hp to run the same ET.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by parish8

the gear ratios of the 60 will get you out of the hole better if you can hook. a 4l80e is going to slow you down conisderably, i would estimate you will need 30-60more hp to run the same ET.

that puts a new perspective on things
never thought it would be that much
how much more does the 80 weigh?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Well since we are talking trannies I would like to ask some questions.
I have a 4L65E in my truck its an 02 Denali and I am wondering if I buy the vette servos off ebay wll I still need to buy the 4 gear servos from transgo. Also the vette servos are they just for the 1-2 shift and then the tansgo is for the 3-OD shift what do I do for the 2-3 shift. Also can you pt the vette servos in with the 4th gear billet servo or will t mess anything up putting billet and non-billet servos in. Also I want the transgo shift kit. People sell the vette servos and shift its on ebay.
I want my tranny to last as long as possible and i dont want the shifts to hard just harder than wht they are. I will also put in a trailblazer convertor at the same time.
Then I will proly get it tuned once its all in. Do I leave the line pressure stock after all that and just take all or just like 75% of the TM off.

I know its long I was just wondering.

Quick Reply: 4L80e or 4L65e??????