Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 expectations

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 expectations

I plan on installing long tube headers, a spectre CAI, maybe port my TB, and I already have a free flowing exhaust. What kind of power numbers could i expect from these mods, and will i need to upgrade anything else to go along with these? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would recommend a Wheatley custom tune to go with it.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Teching In

What kind of numbers could I expect from this setup? Is there any other fairly cheap mods that I looked over?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by greasemykey
i would recommend a Wheatley custom tune to go with it.
What he said... the tune will bring it all together. Once you have a tune, cold air intake, headers, and a cat back there really isnt much else you can do for 'cheap' bolt on power.

Then you start to get into things like a stall converter, which isnt too expensive but putting it in is a bitch, or a cam, or heads, or a supercharger... the list goes on and the prices grow.

And as far as what you can expect... Generally GOOD headers and a great tune are worth over 40 HP together.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM

A good tuner is between $200-500 I'd recommend the edge evolution cts power programmer tuner. I got for it my sierra and it is a beast. Very user friendly and very powerful Bulldog&superchip are another great choice.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z13976
I plan on installing long tube headers, a spectre CAI, maybe port my TB, and I already have a free flowing exhaust. What kind of power numbers could i expect from these mods, and will i need to upgrade anything else to go along with these? Any help is much appreciated.
im not sure where it is on here but there is a thread or a sticky of "free mods" or low cost mods. u can do the throttle body coolant line bypass mod. if ur throttle body is the fly by cable then u can do the bump stop mod. port and polish ur throttle body is u are patient and experienced with a dremel. but yes a custom tune will bring it all together. a cam swap is fairly inexpensive. you could go with a z06 cam and springs for a couple hundred bucks. just search around for the best prices. also efans will free up around 10 horse i believe.

Originally Posted by Alexander5.3
A good tuner is between $200-500 I'd recommend the edge evolution cts power programmer tuner. I got for it my sierra and it is a beast. Very user friendly and very powerful Bulldog&superchip are another great choice.
an experienced tuner will get the most power out of an engine versus a handheld. not ******* the handhelds but if ur gonna spend around 300 for a handheld might as well get a full custom tune.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
im not sure where it is on here but there is a thread or a sticky of "free mods" or low cost mods. u can do the throttle body coolant line bypass mod. if ur throttle body is the fly by cable then u can do the bump stop mod. port and polish ur throttle body is u are patient and experienced with a dremel. but yes a custom tune will bring it all together. a cam swap is fairly inexpensive. you could go with a z06 cam and springs for a couple hundred bucks. just search around for the best prices. also efans will free up around 10 horse i believe.

an experienced tuner will get the most power out of an engine versus a handheld. not ******* the handhelds but if ur gonna spend around 300 for a handheld might as well get a full custom tune.
what he said