Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 intake replaced woth ls1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some guys have used the stock truck rails and modded the mounts a little bit with spacers. The '97 vette rail has all the right hookups and looks stock on the LS1 intake though.

George88gta had a problem with the car fuel rail hitting the #7 spark plug coil. There are two different types of truck coils which I believe are mounted slightly different though and I'm wondering which ones he had and if the problem is specific to them because I've never heard anyone else have a problem like that.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
IMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the truck manifold outflows the car manifold....why would you want to downgrade?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
the truck manifold outflows the car manifold....why would you want to downgrade?
Go read the first two sentences of the first post in this thread again.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM
IMD
Banned

so whip out the sawzall.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IMD
so whip out the sawzall.
If go to my 1-24-2005 post,in this truck performance section, you can see some pics of the swap. The title of the post is "Ls6 intake swap on a 6.0l" For some reason, it doesnt show up in a search. If you plan on using a TH350 transmission, you will probably need a TV cable and that will interfere with the truck water pump outlet. You will have to switch to the LS1 water pump. Still working that out, it has its own set of problems.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IMD

only in the low end tq. but in our trucks with the *** end so light it would be better to push that tq curve a little north to get an opportunity to hook a little. also the mid to high tq and hp are absolutely improved
Old 02-11-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I think some guys have used the stock truck rails and modded the mounts a little bit with spacers. The '97 vette rail has all the right hookups and looks stock on the LS1 intake though.

George88gta had a problem with the car fuel rail hitting the #7 spark plug coil. There are two different types of truck coils which I believe are mounted slightly different though and I'm wondering which ones he had and if the problem is specific to them because I've never heard anyone else have a problem like that.
Went out to the garage this morning and copied down some part numbers. The engine is a 6.0L production replacement engine for a 2002 Silverado 2500hd, I purchased it new in 2004. The coil packs on this engine are part number 12558693 (1st design) and the mounting brackets are part number 12569188 ( Mitsubishi(?) part).There is a 2nd design coil pack, part number 19005218 and also a 2nd part number for the bracket, 10457736 ( Delphi part). 2002 Fbody ( donor of the intake and fuel rails) use a different set of part numbers, and this Fbody setup does not use a return line from the fuel rail. I rechecked my work and the fuel rail inlet ( from the Fbody) definetely interferes with the #7 coil pack. I reversed the rails and it interferes with the #4 coil pack. Not sure what I am dealing with here, but switching to the FAST rails solves the problem. Gives me plumbing options when I stuff this engine in to my '55. O.K. I so cant count. It is the #5 coil pack, not the #7.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the square and the round coil packs. PM me if you're interested in one.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:01 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the middle of swapping a LS1 intake onto my truck and I ran into the coil interference prob about an hour ago. The interference is so bad that there is no way the fuel lines will hook up without some serious modification. I got frustrated and came home, but I will try to get some pics in the morning. I have the round coils, by the way.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS

Just read the latest post on this interference issue. Got to thinking. I am using the Fbody wiring harness and injectors. The truck injectors are taller and use a different electrical connector from the Fbody injectors. If you stay with the truck harness and injectors and add spacers under the Fbody or Corvette fuel rail, maybe there is no interference with the coil packs? Just a thought. I dont have my truck injectors anymore to model this.

Quick Reply: 5.3 intake replaced woth ls1 intake