Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 intake replaced woth ls1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
the truck manifold outflows the car manifold....why would you want to downgrade?

I would not consider it a downgrade. Do a little search on the subject. Sure the runners on the truck intake a a few mm longer,so that helps in the low end but the flows on the LS1 and truck intake are almost identicle. The LS6 intake out flows the truck intake. Then you go LS2 and aftermarket.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the square coils and things fit fine

Can you just go LS2 manifold and use your stock truck injectors?

Old 02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
I have the square coils and things fit fine

Can you just go LS2 manifold and use your stock truck injectors?

Is that the Corvette fuel rail setup? It looks like there is a feed and return line. The Fbody (2002) does not have a return line and the feed line is directly over the #5 coil pack, near the connector. There is a picture of this in my Jan 24 thread.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by george88gta
Just read the latest post on this interference issue. Got to thinking. I am using the Fbody wiring harness and injectors. The truck injectors are taller and use a different electrical connector from the Fbody injectors. If you stay with the truck harness and injectors and add spacers under the Fbody or Corvette fuel rail, maybe there is no interference with the coil packs? Just a thought. I dont have my truck injectors anymore to model this.
The truck injectors are shorter. When you do the swap to Fbody injectors a ~ 5/8" spacer is needed to raise the rails for the Fbody injectors. If yours is hitting with the Fbody injectors it won't get better with truck injectors.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
The truck injectors are shorter. When you do the swap to Fbody injectors a ~ 5/8" spacer is needed to raise the rails for the Fbody injectors. If yours is hitting with the Fbody injectors it won't get better with truck injectors.
Man, I am really messing up here. I thought the truck injectors were taller. Anyway, I am using the Fbody injectors and harness, the connectors on the truck harness do not fit on the fbody injectors. Since I was starting from scratch and already had the fbody PCM and harness, I decided to stay with the fbody injectors as well. Looking at Ryan's pics, I think I see a feed and return line that looks like they go around the #5 coil pack. That probably would have worked on my swap as well. My present plan is to use the Corvette fuel filter, with the return, and keep as much of the plumbing under the car and out of the engine compartment.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:20 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it to work today. I had to cut the brace that is welded between the rail and the nipple then I bent the **** out of it. I bent the supply up and toward the front of the truck and the return up and toward the back, enough to clear the coils.

Ryan, it looks like yours has been bent in that pic. If you look at your pic, the brace I am talking about can be seen just to the right of the fuel reg, on top of the rail and to the right of that also, on top of the nipple. That nipple was at a right angle to the rail when I took this thing out of the box yesterday and those 2 little metal pads I am talking about were connected in a straight line. I snapped a couple pics, but I left the camera at the shop---DOH!!!

George, yes-thats a 97-98 Vette fuel rail-the only application besides the truck that used a return. I just bought mine from the stealer because I couldnt find a used one. I dont know if truck injectors would work or not, being shorter that is just that much more you would hafta bend those lines and I bent mine today about as far as I would be comfortable with.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:54 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of how bad the fuel rails interfered with my coils. I can't find the one I took that shows how far I bent them, but when I do I will post it for anyone interested to see.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 intake replaced woth ls1 intake-intercooler-014.jpg  
Old 02-14-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. Cut and bend (carefully) my friend