Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 V8 runs ruff, dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 V8 runs ruff, dies

OK... heres one for you guys.

My 2001 Silverado had been stalling at low speeds, when not under throttle. It only did this when first started and was fine after a few minutes of driving. It had been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks.

The other night, it did the same as I pulled into a parking lot. Upon trying to restart, it was hard to start and ran ruff and dies when you take your foot off the gas.

Here's the real kicker. It isn't throwing any codes and it has been at the dealer's service dept for the last 3 days. They can't seem to figure out what is wrong either.

The only good news I have heard thus far is that they ran a compression test which turned out fine. And they did get it to start briefly.

It is a 5.3V8 with about 40K on the odometer.

Any ideas???????????
Old 05-18-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Start with the usual suspects: spark and fuel.

I know it sounds really simple but I would check the fuel filter (if the dealer didn't). I am putting my bet on something to do with fuel...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking something like that. But you would think the dealer would????

I'm thinking fuel regulator, fuel filter, fouled injector, or maybe one the coil packs.(damn thing has 8 of them.)

I don't know... you would think they would think of stuff like that. I know I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to be something simple like that. (Although, I hope it is!!!!)
Old 05-18-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I was thinking something like that. But you would think the dealer would????

I'm thinking fuel regulator, fuel filter, fouled injector, or maybe one the coil packs.(damn thing has 8 of them.)

I don't know... you would think they would think of stuff like that. I know I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to be something simple like that. (Although, I hope it is!!!!)
I don't really know if I would trust some of the dealers. I know some guys who work around here and they are pretty imcompetent. Since it does it at low RPM's I would guess that it is almost certainly something with the fuel system since the higher RPM's lets whatever is wrong (possible blockage) not affect it as much due to the increased force of more fuel demand.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Get yourself a fuel pressure guage and hook it into your schrader valve on your fuel rail and then tape it up on your hood, windshield or whaever you can, to view it. Then start your truck and monitor the pressure to see if it drops at idle or low speeds. You should hold 60lbs of pressure, so if it's lower than that, odds are your fuel pump is fagging out on you. Check fuel pressure in front and behind the regulator.

Post up yur results or PM me and let me know the outcome.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dealer still has the truck. I have a REAL funny feeling it is going to be the fuel pump, or fuel regulator.

I will post results when I get it back.

Damn good thing I also own my Formula Firebird!!!!!!!!!!! At least I'm not without transportation!!!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Get yourself a fuel pressure guage and hook it into your schrader valve on your fuel rail and then tape it up on your hood, windshield or whaever you can, to view it. Then start your truck and monitor the pressure to see if it drops at idle or low speeds. You should hold 60lbs of pressure, so if it's lower than that, odds are your fuel pump is fagging out on you. Check fuel pressure in front and behind the regulator.

Post up yur results or PM me and let me know the outcome.
I agree with Torque Wrench. If not, my old Golf had a similar problem for about a day or two, so i pulled the plugs and found my problem. One of the platinum tips had cracked completely in half!
Good Luck though man, I hope it's just something little like that for ya.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My truck did the same exact thing on and off for a month. Then finally it died. After alot of trouble shooting I found the pump dead.

Edit:
Here's some good info.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=392070
Old 05-18-2007, 08:56 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the fuel pump...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the Flux Capacitor is low on plutonium or the Dilithium Crystals are depleted.

Could also be the fuel pump. I’d check them in that order.

Quick Reply: 5.3 V8 runs ruff, dies