Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3 Vortech Block w/ LS1 heads???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Vortech Block w/ LS1 heads???

Hey everyone...First off let me say this is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading and searching it quite often. OK, well I have recently purchased a 5.3L Vortech Block out of a 2000 GMC, not quite sure what model. Also I have purchased a set of complete LS1 heads with very few miles on them. My original intention was to bore the block to a stock LS1 bore (5.7L) and place the heads on it. But I realize now how much that bore would really be and am questionable about the strength of the block after such a job. So my questions to you all are should I just keep the block as a 5.3 and put new 5.3L parts in it? Or is there a better alternative to this block, are there any performance parts out there for it or would simply a corvette crank, cam and etc work in the block ( with smaller pistons of course)? I am also wondering where I could get a gasket set from, I imagine I would use a 5.3L set for the bottom end of the block and a 5.7 for the top end?? I plan on using LS6 intake, and as many corvette parts as possible. Thanks for everything guys. I will document the build and just what I plan on putting the motor in later on.
Shane
Old 12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

First off, the crank in the "Vette" engine (LS1/LS6) is the same size as the one in the 5.3 block. It is a few pounds lighter due to some of the milling, but the same stroke nontheless. Boring the 5.3 block will be just fine and plenty strong. But before you go through that expense, why not just get an LS1 block and save wieght and it doesn't need to be bored. Don't get mixed up in thinking that "Corvette" parts are any better. All these engines are (LS1/LS6) are basically the same. The performance difference only lies in the tunning, different heads (LS6 are different than LS1 heads) and cam. But you don't want a vette cam in a truck motor. Gaskets all interchange.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I would get the LS1 block, but I came across this block for $80. I figured it was a good deal. That does make alot of sense that the parts would all interchange and thats what I was hoping for. Thanks for the helpful advice. Also put my mind at ease as far as parts. I am hoping to get this engine built with street manners but able to run with the big boys, which shouldnt be a problem. I am putting the engine in a car that originally had a 2.8 V6. Thanks again.
Shane