Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3L-$800 how would you spend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's picky about MPG's then yes. tune it.
If he's how stew described, then yea. screw the exhaust.
Get him some nice floor mats that can be easily cleaned and make the truck look nice.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

loud big tires are annoying to old people too. my dad has bought several lifted wranglers and put them back to stock height and stock tires/wheels to make them quiet. he loves the wranglers because they are a badass boat puller

i love wranglers because they are great crawlers and trail riders. we will never see eye to eye
Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahah sounds like our dads have a lot in common...maybe too much influence from my testosterone desires in 4x4s...

I think tires will annoy him too, but I want him to be able to go deeper into the woods, and in PA there is lots of thick muck...wimpy ATs wont do nothing but pack up in the woods....so Im torn, I want some mudders, and was looking at Super Swamper Trxus MTs which are supposed to be quiet for mudders, BFG KM2s get good reviews for highway ride, and the used tires I can possibly get for $400 are basically brand new Firestone MTs which by the looks of the tread on them, they are old school big lugs with no siping, I tihnk they are going to be loud as hell. Its all trying to work on a budget....if doing anything to the engine or exhaust isnt worth it for an old timer putting around, maybe Ill go for the new tires and new fancy rims just for looks so he is old man pimping haha...BFG ATs maybe, they will be more road friendly, wont do well in mud, but snow would be ok and light dirt trails...

Yea it has nothing to do with performance, but I was thinking about nice big Chevy floormats so it looks nice, maybe a bolt in mag light behind the seat, toolbox in bed, maybe CB, a pair of fog lights and a pair of driving lights to brighten the snowy hunting trails, and for sure a vertical gun rack to bolt into the floor near the t-case, and a nice big NRA license plate or something....something my dad could be the cool old NRA deer hunter pimping in style in a decent looking 4x4.

So just put a new stock air filter in with the tune up and skip any of the intakes? forget doing a cat back exhaust? is there any muffler that might be a little more free flowing with a quiet tone that wouldnt be too old man unfriendly? and a tuner for sure, Diablo? Hypertech? Wheatley? Pro Comp?
Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Where's the Beef?

You can get a good HID light upgrade for around $100 on ebay. I keep my mag light in the fold on the back of the passenger seat so I wouldn't think he needs a mount unless its an RCSB in which case I dunno if it has those compartments.
You don't want a hendheld tune, you want a mail order or dyno tune.
Our sponsors Wheatly, Nelson, and Blackbear produce great results.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM

Hi guys, again many thanks for the input and feedback. This is a great forum! Yea its a SCLB. Being they are getting older, and Im not downing my parents they are the greatest in the world, but they truly are getting to the "grandpa and grandma" stage mentally...so I figured a flashlight mounted behind the seat right to the cab wall, so its easy to find and always there, might be good idea. Depending on finances get one of those pre-packaged survival/first aid kits thrown back there too, tow strap, etc. I dont know if I spent the chunk of change on a CB install if he would even figure out how to use it, but it would be good if he was out alone and something happned could try to call for help....and a winch is just about out of the question price wise, although there are some cheaper ones, however these dang new trucks winch mounts or bumpers are over the top, I mean $1k-2k...I cant find any simple brush guard winch mount for this....but again the winch might be like the CB, hell even if he needed it he might not go through hassle of figuring it out or try and be frustrated....

HID headlights, you know I see that stuff on Craigs List but didnt really know what it meant...Ill look into that, its street legal I assume?

Once I get the engine tuned up (the regular kind of tune up), and the engine light fixed from this evap canister code crap, I think I will call some of the vendors here and talk about a good tune for it!!

Have a great Sunday guys!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good suggestions from these guys here. A tune and some LT's will definitely help. If you have any cash left over, maybe get a nice aftermarket muffler welded in your stock exhaust. As for CAI, you can modify your stock air box and get just as many gains as an aftermarket system. Just do a search for "home made CAI", or "homebrew CAI", or "stock airbox", and you should find some good info
Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stick with CAI Bruteforce AEM, header, tune. You will love them!!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:47 PM

thanks guys!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

save it up for a procharger!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
13 Second Truck Club

there is a cai on ebay for about 65 bucks fits excellent, well built, looks good don't spend 250 on one if your interested just search cheap cold air intake or cai i just put one on my 99 and it sounds awesome

Quick Reply: 5.3L-$800 how would you spend?