Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3L mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 5.3L mods

I have been searching around here for hours! This place is awesome. I am looking for some mods to my 5.3 motor. I saw other posts on here similar but different. My truck is a mod virgin. All I have is intake and exhaust, and it's lifted with 35's. I need something to make those suckers move a little faster! I am looking at turbos, superchargers, ecu programming, cams, meth, nitrous, etc... Which mods are the best, or better than the others?? And Which turbos or superchargers are better and which work the best? I live in phx (surface of the sun in the summer), so would this make a difference? And I do a little off-roading...
I don't want a race truck, but I want a lightning and vette killer! I know the sky is the limit with this stuff, but I want to get an idea of what I can do. Any help would be great

thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

First off, it's gonna be hard to kill lightnings and vettes with a lift and huge tires, you have a heavy *** truck. Second, i would start out slow since you are a "virgin" I would get some gears, 4:10's or so, and a tune from one of the sponsors, or get your own tuning software and start learning yourself. With living in AZ i would do a *160 thermostat, helps me out here on hot *** days in CA. If you are gonna do Forced Induction then you need to start building your truck for it, headers, transmission work suck as Transgo HD2 shift kit and vette servo, even though your stock 4l60E tranny wont last too long with FI. But i would get gears and headers and a tune for starters.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

boost + intercooler + meth +built 4L80E = success
Old 06-18-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by treyZ28
yah if his budget is $10K. And there's a lot to know about these trucks.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

personally, when i was first starting out on here and with my truck, i wish someone would have told me to get HPT at that time, i would have known a lot more sooner. That would be my suggestions, then you will learn what your truck is doing and how it acts and what's actually going on with it rather than just saying i have a supercharger and injectors and a built tranny by this shop that did it all.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I don't really have a budget right now. I am looking at making one depending on how crazy I want to go. How do thermostats set at different temps help? The truck came stock with 4.10's. And I am looking into a 4L80E
Would it be better to wait to tune until I figure out what mods are going to be done?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmforlife
First off, it's gonna be hard to kill lightnings and vettes with a lift and huge tires, you have a heavy *** truck. Second, i would start out slow since you are a "virgin" I would get some gears, 4:10's or so, and a tune from one of the sponsors, or get your own tuning software and start learning yourself. With living in AZ i would do a *160 thermostat, helps me out here on hot *** days in CA. If you are gonna do Forced Induction then you need to start building your truck for it, headers, transmission work suck as Transgo HD2 shift kit and vette servo, even though your stock 4l60E tranny wont last too long with FI. But i would get gears and headers and a tune for starters.
Sound advice.
If you're going to keep the big wheels you'll want to lower the final drive ratio to 4.10 or better, 4.56's. That alone will make a great difference. Ditto on the tune.
Sart there, enjoy
Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz
I guess I don't really have a budget right now. I am looking at making one depending on how crazy I want to go. How do thermostats set at different temps help? The truck came stock with 4.10's. And I am looking into a 4L80E
Would it be better to wait to tune until I figure out what mods are going to be done?
Yah figure out your budget, post that and everyone will tell you exactly what you should do for that price. If you get a cooler thermostat it basically starts to open at a cooler temp, thus keeping the truck a little cooler. It helps if you have E-fans when you do this then you can set the fans to kick on at a correct temp to work with the thermostat. E-fans are a great mod on these truck, especially for the money. I think 4.10's are good, maybe 4.56's. A 4l80 is a great mod, but only if you need it and it's in your budget. You will have to spend just under a grand if you buy the conversion parts for a Speed Engineering or something----------->
You can get those parts at a junk yard for cheaper though. Figure out a budget and then we'll help ya figure out what's best to do.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
Sounds familiar...hmmmm Lol

Btw great advice GMforlife!! I'm gonna sit back and help out but seems like you've got this newbie headed in the right direction. I also want to point out that he should decide on which FI (should he chose to go that route eventually) to go with before buying mods that would be rendered useless eventually. Such as buying headers and then getting a trick turbo.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Sounds familiar...hmmmm Lol

Btw great advice GMforlife!! I'm gonna sit back and help out but seems like you've got this newbie headed in the right direction. I also want to point out that he should decide on which FI (should he chose to go that route eventually) to go with before buying mods that would be rendered useless eventually. Such as buying headers and then getting a trick turbo.
oh yah for sure, that's why he should figure out a budget first.

Quick Reply: 5.3L mods