Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3l questions and tips or opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l questions and tips or opinions

Hey guys, I have a 05 crew cab z71 and just wanted to do a few things, after using the search button I found alot of good ideas but noticed new threads compared to old ones differed. Looking for some new info with dyno or track results after mods.
Truck has 75000 miles now, about to change fluids, like trans and rad. so felt like a good time to do some mods.
Plan on cleaning maf, any advice on that, intake, looked at airraid jr. kit and cutting the stock box, a muffler to open up the exhaust a little bit, and of course a dyno tune to wrap it up. Let me know what you guys think
Old 12-31-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

and also, do most guys get a tune on 93, 89, 87 or does it make a big difference on a mildly modded 5.3
Old 12-31-2010, 04:47 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

looks like you're on the right path with mods. I've got a 4.8 with 93 octane blackbear tune. They say you'll gain a little extra power with a 93 tune. I went from stock to 93 tune so I don't know if there's any seat of the pants difference between a 87 & 93 tune. Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by b4vwannabe
looks like you're on the right path with mods. I've got a 4.8 with 93 octane blackbear tune. They say you'll gain a little extra power with a 93 tune. I went from stock to 93 tune so I don't know if there's any seat of the pants difference between a 87 & 93 tune. Hope this helps
Yea any info is appreciated, i figured the 93 tune would be more beneficial than the 87 just checking.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 AM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

Originally Posted by evo2ls1
Yea any info is appreciated, i figured the 93 tune would be more beneficial than the 87 just checking.
I wish I had better info for you but I went ***** to the wall on the first try. I figured 93 octane costs about $.20 more a gallon so what the heck & went ***** to the wall on the first tune.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by b4vwannabe
I wish I had better info for you but I went ***** to the wall on the first try. I figured 93 octane costs about $.20 more a gallon so what the heck & went ***** to the wall on the first tune.
Yea thats what I am gonna do, seems to be the tune is best mod, clean up afr's, shift points, and tq management ect. I just got to look into an exhaust options.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

i have the 93 as well for my tune, the tune really woke the truck up, of course i have lots of other mods on my 02, but i wouldnt regret anything i did performance wise, i recently changed my exhaust as well. long tubes into ory into a dynomax bullet muffler then into a tbss muffler with a turndown after axle, the corsa was just obnoxious for me. i couldnt be happier, and my 5.3 ***** and gets with the 20s as well
Old 01-01-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

depending on your goals and funds i would def throw a set of longtubes on there to compliment a flowing muffler like corsa or magnaflow. stay away from flowmaster in the opinions of most
Old 01-01-2011, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
depending on your goals and funds i would def throw a set of longtubes on there to compliment a flowing muffler like corsa or magnaflow. stay away from flowmaster in the opinions of most
I just cant afford, or would prefer to not drop too much cash on the truck as its time for some mods to the vette, but the airraid jr. kit, tune, new plugs, clean mass air and TB and maybe a muffler, if its beneficial, which I am sure it has some merit will only be around a grand or less. Any advice on a good muffler setup that is proven to pick up some power and not just noise?
b4vwannabe, I will probably def go with a 93 tune as most seem to have said that it shows best results, which makes sense, but not everything with mods always makes sense so figured I would check.'
Thanks for the responses, keep them coming
Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I modded my stock airbox and went with the Airaid Junior tube, but IMHO it (the tube) was $100 wasted. A lot of guys here get the universal type cold air kits off of Ebay and with those you can run the open type air cleaner, or just fab your own intake tube for a lot less than the Airaid piece.

As for cleaning the MAF sensor, I use the spray made for the job and do not touch the sensor with anything. I just spray it well and let it dry.

I think you'd get much more out of headers than you would just a muffler and even a stock catback will sound good with longtubes IMO. You can get the Ebay stainless longtubes and Y pipe for $300, so with the cash you save by not buying the Airaid Jr. tube and saving what it would cost to weld in a nice aftermarket muffler, you'd be pretty much even on the cash outlay. Just another option to consider. If I did it over, that's exactly what I would do.

FWIW, I tuned mine for 87 octane and have tried doing a 93 octane tune, but since I don't drag race the truck and just drive it, the 87 octane tune suits me best. The power difference did seem a little noticeable, but not a night and day difference between the two different tunes.

Good Luck with it whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: 5.3l questions and tips or opinions