Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

5.3l questions and tips or opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For exhaust, if you're not hung up on name brands, I had a local exhaust guy replace my entire cat-back factory stuff with 3" and a knock off magnaflow dumped behind the axle for like $225 out the door. I may upgrade it at some point but it's doing the job on the cheap for now.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I modded my stock airbox and went with the Airaid Junior tube, but IMHO it (the tube) was $100 wasted. A lot of guys here get the universal type cold air kits off of Ebay and with those you can run the open type air cleaner, or just fab your own intake tube for a lot less than the Airaid piece.

As for cleaning the MAF sensor, I use the spray made for the job and do not touch the sensor with anything. I just spray it well and let it dry.

I think you'd get much more out of headers than you would just a muffler and even a stock catback will sound good with longtubes IMO. You can get the Ebay stainless longtubes and Y pipe for $300, so with the cash you save by not buying the Airaid Jr. tube and saving what it would cost to weld in a nice aftermarket muffler, you'd be pretty much even on the cash outlay. Just another option to consider. If I did it over, that's exactly what I would do.

FWIW, I tuned mine for 87 octane and have tried doing a 93 octane tune, but since I don't drag race the truck and just drive it, the 87 octane tune suits me best. The power difference did seem a little noticeable, but not a night and day difference between the two different tunes.

Good Luck with it whatever you decide.
Well that sounds like a good plan, universal like the aluminum style, or is there a composite style? also the guy before me told me that he replaced the filter and cleaned the MAF with a paper towel by gently wiping it...I know he told me this after I bought the truck and mentioned something about getting a few mods, but have not had any problems with the truck so I am assuming he didnt damage it.