Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0 Buildup - Your advice wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now for some questions.

The valve cover on the new engine does not have a grommet for the PCV.

Here's the old engine.

So how are these setup now?

The MAP sensor clips are not long enough to snap onto my original sensor. Do I need new one for a '04 2500HD? It fits in the manifold fine, just doesn't snap in place.

Can I delete the EGR in my tune and just do away with it? There's no provision for it on this TBSS intake.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Last, but not least, I'm concerned about the plug from cylinder #7 on my 5.3 I'm pulling. All the others looked fine. What's going on here? Rings? Valve stem seals? Tune?

Oddly enough, I also noticed the intake runner was lighter colored, perhaps cleaner, than all the others. That's what made me wonder if it were fuel/tune related.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, one more thing Where do I fasten the chain to lift this bad boy? I'm assuming the steel bracket in the last pic above is for lifting. How do you connect to it? Where do you connect on the front of the engine? Do I just bolt the chain to the head? Seems kind of iffy lifting the engine with the head bolts.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, not done yet My Airraid MIT tube will not connect to my new 90mm throttle body. Matter of fact, the tube will fit inside the t-body! What mods do I need to make from the air filter to the t-body? Do I need a larger MAF as well? Where oh where does this end, lol.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

They changed PVC styles after 03 I think. The one with the removable valve is the earlier type. You can just use some 3/8 hose now...or cut off the fitting stuck in your current hose.

That spark plug looks very lean...not good.

Lifting by the head bolts is fine, but make sure they are good bolts. I dropped my old engine when I was pulling it out (luckily only a few inches) due to one of the bolts breaking in half where the chain attached.

You may find it easier to put the new engine in with the exhaust headers off...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I also don't know what to do with the line that came off the front of the passenger side valve cover. It used to go to the throttle body, but there's no fitting for it on this one.

Lean on the 5.3 plug?

Yes, a lot of stuff will be coming back off the new engine. The parts are just there to keep things organized while I pull the old one.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a gauge for that

Is there not a fitting for it somewhere on the intake?

Yes, lean. Notice how the ceramic part is all grainy, that means the combustion is too hot which is a sign of being lean.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Teching In

first off i wanted to say what a great thread!

i am actually in the middle of buidling a setup almost exact to this with a few differences. its an 04 lq9 with 243's a TBSS intake manifold 90mm DBC TB, with all the boltons. my cam and stall will be a bit larger but everyone has their own preferences.

i can definitely respect all the time and effort youve put into documenting this build and it makes life MUCH easier for guys like myself who havent gotten to the "hard" parts yet.

The TBSS intake swap write up and pictures youve done will be a HUGE help for me. Thanks again!!! I'm very eager to see this build complete. Is there any chance youll be making a list of all your incurred costs to this point so all us fans can see roughly the cost of completely rebuilding a motor on a "budget" Great work, looks awesome.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
Is there not a fitting for it somewhere on the intake?

Yes, lean. Notice how the ceramic part is all grainy, that means the combustion is too hot which is a sign of being lean.
I think that line may be plumbed into the intake air tube on the newer truck, but not sure. But wouldn't that bypass the idea of a catch can?

If it's lean, how would that cause all the oily looking deposits? Is it possible it's just a tune issue?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I have a gauge for that

The idea is engine vacuum sucks in the oil to be burned.
Maybe you are lean and have a lot of blow by in that cylinder?

Quick Reply: 6.0 Buildup - Your advice wanted.