Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 questions

What are the differences between the lq4s and lq9s? Which one is better? Just curious, im starting to look for a 6.0 to put in the truck
Old 07-10-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

only real difference are the pistons. The 4 are dished and the 9 are flat. If your keeping the engine stock the 9 has a bit more compression so will have a bit more power. If your gonna rebuild it then it doesnt really matter.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While essentially Andy is right, it is also a little over simplified; as the answer would really boil down to what year model engine you were dealing with. The block, heads, camshaft and so on is the same between the two on the aluminum headed engines. Basically the only thing that would cause disparage between the power ratings is the 6/10th’s difference in compression and final tuning. The earlier model LQ4’s were equipped with pressed pin pistons and rods, whereas the LQ9’s and later model LQ4’s were equipped with floating pin pistons and rods. The floating pin rods are stronger, but if you were to come across a good deal on a ’01 thru ’04 model LQ4, I wouldn't loose any sleep over what rods were in it. There were other items the LQ9 benefited from, such as coated piston skirts, but again, the LQ4’s had theses improvements integrated in down the line as well. The camshaft bearing tunnel in the block had its dimensions changed and the head-bolt lengths were changed in the blocks as well and require different components; most of the changes came into effect in the latter part of 2004. Again, as Andy said, if you were going to build it from scratch I wouldn’t worry too much about what year model it came from, however you do need to know before you start to order parts. However, if you were to plan on basically running it as is, you may want to pick up a later model.

Last edited by 1Bear; 07-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

I see, i found one and the guy said it came out of a 2005 2500 silverado, what would i have there? Im not planning on rebuilding it right away, i was just gonna tear it down, check everything (bearings, rings, etc.) then put a couple upgrades(ls6 oil pump, ls2 trays, ls7 lifter, cam, springs, pushrods, and maybe some milled heads) and then run it like that til i got the money to do a for real build. Maybe some nitrous, what do yall think?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

it should be an LQ4, LQ9's came in the escalade and silverado SS.. i would do an L92 top end.. L92 intake and heads and a 90mm throttle body that would be awesome
Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
While essentially Andy is right, it is also a little over simplified; as the answer would really boil down to what year model engine you were dealing with. The block, heads, camshaft and so on is the same between the two on the aluminum headed engines. Basically the only thing that would cause disparage between the power ratings is the 6/10th’s difference in compression and final tuning. The earlier model LQ4’s were equipped with pressed pin pistons and rods, whereas the LQ9’s and later model LQ4’s were equipped with floating pin pistons and rods. The floating pin rods are stronger, but if you were to come across a good deal on a ’01 thru ’04 model LQ4, I would loose any sleep over what rods were in it. There were other items the LQ9 benefited from, such as coated piston skirts, but again, the LQ4’s had theses improvements integrated in down the line as well. The camshaft bearing tunnel in the block had its dimensions changed and the head-bolt lengths were changed in the blocks as well and require different components; most of the changes came into effect in the latter part of 2004. Again, as Andy said, if you were going to build it from scratch I wouldn’t worry too much about what year model it came from, however you do need to know before you start to order parts. However, you were to plan on basically running it as is, you may want to pick up a later model.
Like I said, The only REAL difference are the pistons lol
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

i might do it, my goal is high 11s with a heads cam 6.0 on spray...possible?