Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0 swap, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve - that 6.0 install has to be getting close. I think you are going to be very happy with the results (as long as you didn't kill yourself or your truck/engine). Any update?

I need a Gonzo shop too. I'd kill for a lift.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost done. All that's left is to switch out the crank bolt for a new one, install the intake manifold, and install the headers. Then fill everything up and see if it runs. Shouldn't take very long tomorrow. I'm also going to see whats up with the starter because it was kinda hard to bolt up, but it was getting late so I left it. Also add the camshaft sensor and one O2 sensor to that broken parts list Also couldn't get that plug on the back of the AC compressor to go in but I can worry about that later. If anyone has any questions about doing this swap I will do what I can to help. Later guys.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
Steve - that 6.0 install has to be getting close. I think you are going to be very happy with the results (as long as you didn't kill yourself or your truck/engine). Any update?

I need a Gonzo shop too. I'd kill for a lift.
Remenber Tex I suggested when you were building your new house to build some celing height in the garage so you can install a lift.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything special I mean if I pull my 5.3 and set it beside the 6.0 everything is just bolt up and go. Anything I need to replace while its out? Not trying to steal the post just looking for some more tips. Why are you replaceing your cranks bolt?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:41 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Yes you did Gonz. I made 10' ceilings and a 3 car garage, but its already full. No problem though, I've got the go ahead for a building.
(wife's thinking storage, I'm thinking shop)

Gonzo's shop circa August of 02:
http://z71.net/shop1.jpg

http://z71.net/shop3.jpg
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yes will, just switch the flywheel and the power steering pump. Some trucks might need to switch out a plug on the back of the intake manifold, but mine didn't. Also there is a spacer between the flywheel and crank on the 6.0. Make sure it comes out and use the shorter 5.3 bolts as well. My spacer came out with the flywheel but one guy over here had his stick to the crank and :explode: And you are supposed to use a new bolt everytime you switch crank pulleys.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys I got it in there and it fired up the first try! I've been driving around for about 2 hours and man it's fun. It feels much more powerful than the 5.3. The Yank 3000 now is about a 3400 stall, and it wraps out so fast in first gear that it hit the rev limiter and scared the **** out of me. Well thanks for all the help guys, and anyone thinking of doing this, it is well worth the $$$.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks twobit and I'm proud to say the only help I got was someone to hold the crank bolt while I loosened and tightened the torque converter bolts. Also forgot to mention the 2500 hd alternator is great. Had the efans going and the heater on max sitting still and it didn't bog down. One problem though, I couldn't get the plug on the back of the AC compressor to plug in, but I didn't feel like pulling the compressor again so it can wait.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Man Steve, thats great. You still have the hypertech? Any thoughts for custom programming?

You plan on going to Temple Academy anytime soon? I may hit it next Friday evening. I've got to go to Austin so I may stop on the way back.

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap, any tips?