Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0 swap done with problems!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rafedial
You definately have too much crankcase pressure, but that type of problem shouldn't come on and off. It should be constant. Flashing SES lights usually mean big problems. My suggestion at least is to put the truck out of commision before any serious engine damage results. Your only codes are PO300 and PO135 still right?
yea tomorrow im doing a compression test. and the codes are p0300, p0135, p0327. and the preassure is really high all the time anytime i give it to much gas the dipstick blows out i think my pressure gauge is going to atleast 80. im starting to think its a cracked piston making to much preassure in the block. the poping and hesitation still beats me?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you check the supply voltage to the the ignition coils? The missfire could just be one cylinder. A Tech2 would be able to pinpoint that cylinder.

Have you had the valve covers off? Sounds like maybe one set of valve are bent.

Think about it logically. During normal rotation of an engine all pressure is eventually relieved in the exhaust stroke. Since you are blowing the dipstick out, you are not completely relieving that pressure. So something is holding it in, like a set of valves not opening. If you got time, pull the rockers off and check the pushrods, roll them on a flat surface.

Do you have an unburnt exhaust smell/rotten egg? Could be a partially clogged catalytic converter. This is cause by a missfire/dead cylinder that has been missing for a while, cause unburnt fuel to collect in the cat.

My last idea is a clogged injector, causing no ignition.

Try running the engine and removing a plug wire one at a time, then replacing each time you remove one. If you remove one, and the engine sound changes, then you have pinpointed the miss. If it doesn't change, go to the next wire. Good luck!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafedial

Try running the engine and removing a plug wire one at a time, then replacing each time you remove one. If you remove one, and the engine sound changes, then you have pinpointed the miss. If it doesn't change, go to the next wire. Good luck!!!
I think you mean if you remove a plug wire and the engine doesnt make a different sound then there is your problem... if you remove one and it shakes a lil and changes notes... then you know that one is good.....
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Yes, that's what I meant.

That's enough brew for the night for me!!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

just did a compression test and left bank 1,3,5,7, had between 78-105 and the right side 2,4,6,8 had 205-220? why is the right side so high and the left side so low and their all consistent? could it be head gasket wrong or valves bad on the low side?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you remove the heads before you installed it?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Did you remove the heads before you installed it?
the engine was a short block and i put new gaskets and heads on it.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I just had a thought. when I did the rockers and pushrods i just dropped the pushrods in and then bolted the rockers down all the way BUT i didnt turn the cam over and tighten the rockers down more that were higher on the cam lobes. so that would mean the valves arent opening and closing right and making the poping i hear and the misfire and possibly explain why that whole side only has 78-100 compression? what do you guys think?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think that would be your whole problem. The LS motors are supposed to be torque tightened not adjusted with a certain amount of preload like the Gen II an older SBC's. Maybe the valves are sticking or maybe the motor was over on its side during storage and the rings in the left bank are not sealing well as mentioned before.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Wide Open
I don't think that would be your whole problem. The LS motors are supposed to be torque tightened not adjusted with a certain amount of preload like the Gen II an older SBC's. Maybe the valves are sticking or maybe the motor was over on its side during storage and the rings in the left bank are not sealing well as mentioned before.
I did squirt oil in the cylinders that had low compression and re tested and the numbers didn't change at all. also the engines not using any oil. and i know that valves that dont close all the way cause backfiring and running rough like mines doing.

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap done with problems!!! help