Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0L is finally in

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:28 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L is finally in

.....and it feels STRONG! I really didn't get on it super hard yet, but it feels a ton more powerful than the 5.3 did. This is a bone stock LQ4 with a couple bolt on's. I did run into a couple problems with the install since the motor came out of a 2005 and the driver side fuel rail didn't have a return & regulator. I also had to get manifold vacuum for the reg. from the otherside of the manifold as the port was different again. This motor had a DBW throttle body, and I stuck my cable tb back on, but the bosses in the intake didn't have the threaded bolts (not all of them anyway) where the throttle wire bracket bolts down. Does anyone know how to get those in there, or if you can even order them. I guess they are knurled and just tap in ???? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? BTW, the install was started at 5:30 last night and finished and running by 12:00 midnight! (That includes a pizza break) I actually drove the truck home last night and drove it to work today. My brother-n-law, who owns Absolute Automotive in Baltimore is one bad ****! It's unbelievable how fast he is, and he has never even done an engine job on one of these before.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah!!!!! its about time. Irony of it all is once you finally did it, it only took 6 and half hours, not 2 years! LOL Can't help on the tb but congrats Tim!!!! FInally able to cut that signature down some eh?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Damn man. Even you are done..... Mine is still sitting in the garage with everything else. Why didnt you just use the intake from the 5.3??
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Damn man. Even you are done..... Mine is still sitting in the garage with everything else. Why didnt you just use the intake from the 5.3??
Don't worry man, I'm in the same boat as you. Mine is still sitting on a pallet in the garage waiting for new heads.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new setup!
Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zick
Don't worry man, I'm in the same boat as you. Mine is still sitting on a pallet in the garage waiting for new heads.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new setup!
I know all to well the feeling of staring down a motor on a pallet evertime you enter and exit the garage. Dont worry it will all be worth it later on down the road.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

congrats on the swap and you are right about the power and torque increase. I went from a stock 4.8 to a cammed and tuned lq9. Any plans for the new found power?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

congrats on your conversion bro
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Thanks All! Put a few miles on it today and I really can't believe the difference....and it is STOCK. I didn't use the 5.3 intake cause A. This one is NEW, with injectors, sensors, everything...new and B. My stock 5.3 had EGR which I didn't want to use and didn't have the block off thingy. It's working fine as is, just rigged up a tad, but now big deal. I'll epoxy some nuts in this weekend and all will be better. Thanks again for the kind words. I know what it's like to look at it on a pallet. I looked at my last one for months, put a cam and springs on it, looked at it some more, and sold it to Dewmanshu! Stupid move. So many things to do and so little time. I really thought it would have take like 2 days or so, but I can't believe how talented my brother in law is. If its broke, (even if it ain't), he can fix it.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats man, glad it's working out for you

I'm in the same boat as half of you other guys...got a shortblock at the front of my garage that I get to frown at every time I come home...gettin closer though. At least I got it out of the dining room since we moved lol...
Old 04-27-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the swap Tim. It always amazes (sp) me how fast mechanics can swap a motor.

Quick Reply: 6.0L is finally in