Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0l Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0l Swap Questions

Hey all, First time typer long time reader. here is my situation that im hoping that you all could help me with. i have the 5.3 in my 99 sierra, i have a 6.0 block that i got from work (was almost compleat but another guy from work took off the heads for scrap aluminium) anyway where would be the best place to get parts for it, will most of the parts off the 5.3 work? and lastly just for some ideas what you would do with a 6.0 block, i want it to be reliable and not have any driving issues and it doesnt have to be cazy fast but i would be pleased with mid to low 14s. any information would be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by Gmc1999; 05-30-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

searching will get you a TON of info, but anyways...

You're probably gonna want to go to a junkyard or someplace and get heads for the 6.0. All of your 5.3L accessories and I THINK the intake manifold will all bolt up and work. All the wire harness' plugs and what not are ALL the same. BUT you're either going to want a 6.0 ECU or get a custom tune.

Next is your transmission. You CAN keep your 4L60e, if you NEVER got on the throttle at all it might last you a long time... but then whats the point of getting a 6.0? So just know at some point you're going to want a built 60e or do a 4L80e swap. I personally wouldnt do the swap until I had one or the other.

Your low 14 second shouldnt be a problem at all, depending on the truck it might even be cheaper to stick with the 5.3L and mod that, but I'm not too familiar with the 5.3s. But like I said, with the 6.0 it shouldnt be a problem, they take to mods very well.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the info, if all the stuff from the 5.3 works then all i would really need is the heads and the injectors, i already have a custom tune from westers so that wouldnt be an issue, but im stuck on the trans part im not sure if i want to use the 4L80E from what i understand you ahve to get a new cross member and drive shafts. i knew that the intake will bolt up but was wondering what the power differance if any would be from an actual 6.0 intake would be
Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

Well speed-engineering makes a 4L80e swap kit, I'm pretty sure you can buy the kit OR all the parts needed w/o the transmission and then go to a junkyard for that to save some money.

I'm not totally sure on the intakes if they're the same or not. If they arent then when you get the heads prolly woulndt hurt to get the intake.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:18 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Not sure what style truck you have, 2wd, 4wd, etc., but mid 14's are a piece of cake with bolt on's and a 5.3. Everything will swap over from the 5.3, but get the 6.0L heads. Regular cab short beds around here are running mid 14's almost stock, and with a converter, tune, exhaust and intake ECSB's are running mid 14's. Welcome to the site
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Well i have a RCSB 4x4, i have cold air intake, exhaust, custom tune, and a couple other small bolt ons, and im running about mid-low 15 so mabee a better goal to shoot for would be somewere in the 13s, i wanted to save the money and bolt on a supercharger but the trucks got 108,000 miles on the 5.3 so not sure how long things would last if i went that rout
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a RCSB 4x4 with a 6. You can use your 5.3 intake, its the same. You also can use the heads off your 5.3. The compression will be up, but they dont flow quite as good as the 317 heads. What year is the block? If I remember correct, the first years had some issues with the crank shaft fitment when used with the 4L60. Also, beef your tranny before you do the swap, or you'll be replacing it shortly after.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by white1
I have a RCSB 4x4 with a 6. You can use your 5.3 intake, its the same. You also can use the heads off your 5.3. The compression will be up, but they dont flow quite as good as the 317 heads. What year is the block? If I remember correct, the first years had some issues with the crank shaft fitment when used with the 4L60. Also, beef your tranny before you do the swap, or you'll be replacing it shortly after.
I think it was 01 or older where you couldnt get the 4L60e to work.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Teching In

well its a 05 6.0 but i was going to do the 4l80e swap, also is thier a supercharger that just replaces the intake for these trucks? would the 05 engine work with a cable tb rather than the drive by wire set up. i think it would but i want to keep the surprizes to a min while doing the swap.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by Gmc1999
well its a 05 6.0 but i was going to do the 4l80e swap, also is thier a supercharger that just replaces the intake for these trucks? would the 05 engine work with a cable tb rather than the drive by wire set up. i think it would but i want to keep the surprizes to a min while doing the swap.
The intake works, but the mounting points where your stock cables go are not all threaded. There are 3 points where the cable bracket mounts to the intake, and the DBW type intake's only have 1 of these 3 mounting points filled with the threaded insert. I had a friend machine 2 for me and then put them in with 2 part epoxy and let it sit overnight. I holds great. I also drove around for about a week with only the one bolt holding it on. If it's an '05, you'll need the flywheel with the spacer (or the spacer) for the 4L80, and you can use your 5.3 flywheel with the 4L60. Also, keep in mind that you may have to use your fuel rail on the drivers side and your fuel balance tube that runs over the intake IF the donor doesn't have the 2 fuel lines. Also, '99's have smaller injectors than the '00-up so you will want to try and score an entire intake with fuel rails and all if you can, or if you use your's, I would get the '00-up injectors. There easy to find for cheap, I just sold a set for $15 shipped, and I'm sure others here have them laying around.

Quick Reply: 6.0l Swap Questions