Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.0L Swap starts tomorrow - Should be ready to run for Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy does that camm'd 4.8L run like a raped ape.

Thanks again for letting me ride shot gun tonight.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InchUp
Thanks again for letting me ride shot gun tonight.
It's a RCSB...I hope he didn't make you ride in the bed!!
So the truck's running well? Fully tuned and WOT were done?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

where are the videos

dyno?
Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
It's a RCSB...I hope he didn't make you ride in the bed!!
So the truck's running well? Fully tuned and WOT were done?

Yeah, the VE is pretty much dialed in now, PE is dialed in and the spark tables are about 90% of the way done. Now the next thing is to get some dyno time arranged so I can stick a wideband up its *** and get some numbers. InchUp and I were driving around for a few hours last night (laptop bitch) and he helped me out tremendously. It's nice to have someone run the laptop so you don't have to look over at it all the time and drift into oncoming traffic On the new 44 lb/hr injectors I see as high as 65% duty cycle so I'm glad I didn't go with the standard 8.1L 31 lb/hr injectors. This engins is thirsty At any rate by the end of the night we got the truck running so good that rolling at 35 MPH or so, just popping the gas pedal down both back tires broke loose and the truck gets squirrely. InchUp's arounf 170 lbs, I'm around 300 lbs, and in a 4200 lb truck that's pretty impressive in my book. The poor trans and drivetrain is all I keep thinking about. I'm going to be really interested in getting some numbers and see what this thing runs at the track on the 27th.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
where are the videos

dyno?
No vids yet man, Inchup Initially forgot his phone in his car - by the time I thought to ask him to record some video, it was too late. The truck is too loud to keep running in and out of the neighborhood. I figured it wasn't worth it. It's comin' though, trust me - Welp I'm a happy camper thus far. Time to go eat some "crow" flavored cereal.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

<04 silverado with a 96 l29 and a 5 speed. and yes 1st is useless
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

So how long till you break the 5 speed ya think?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Not quick enough lol. I can't even comprehend what a T56 would feel like behind that motor. 1st gear would be even more useless and the 6.0L wouldn't care what gear it's in since it pulls so damn hard. And with that double OD 6th gear! 22-23mpg anyone?

BTW to anyone who wants PE enabled to the point where it feels like you just sprayed a 75 shot of nitrous into the motor, start bowing down and kissing hirdlej's feet and maybe he'll help you out. Once we got that dialed in the motor felt like a completely different animal under PE. I can't wait to get my 5.7L rolling with PE set up like that. lol

Last edited by InchUp; 08-15-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

So is this PE not something that's done on a standard mail order tune?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Power Enrichment (PE) typically is or should be setup on a mail order tune. If you're tuning with narrowband 02 sensors (stock ones) it's crucial that your VE table be dialed in absolutely perfect before tinkering with your power enrichment settings. Once dialed in, you can set your criteria that you wish to have met before allowing PE to come into play. Some guys set this real loose or real tight and are either in PE alot more than they should be or not in PE at all. I just simple want my MAP sensor to read 80 KPA and 80% throttle position before allowing it to come into play. That way going up hills using half throttle you're not entering PE unless you really want it to. Think of PE like secondaries on a quadrajet carburetor from the day. Until you get into PE mode, you're running off the VE table(s) (like primaries on a quadrajet) FYI, I'm not going to be enabling the MAF sensor on this truck. I'm running a SDOL tune (Speed Density Open Loop) thatI built myself. Is working nicely for me. I'm going to park the truck for a few days, drive it all next week and see if anything needs to be changed. So far so good. Hopefully some dyno numbers by the end of next week

Quick Reply: 6.0L Swap starts tomorrow - Should be ready to run for Tuesday