Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.2 L92 Engine Rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2024, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 L92 Engine Rebuild advice

I am currently in possession of a L92 that I got for cheap, however it has quite some issues, It doesn't run well,

when driving and coming to a stop while in gear the rpm will drop below 600 or even stall sometimes, shifting into neutral gets load off of the engine. When I start the engine after it sits for a little bit of time I can smell gas for a second from the drivers side.
It idles fairly rough, I can bring it up to 2k rpm and let off, the rpms will drop maybe 100 or so and sit there for a second or two and then go down to idle where it will idle rough. I've recently replaced the MAP and throttle body, my next guess would be the MAF sensor maybe?, I do have some odd 02 sensor data but I'm not sure if its anything of any value

the engine has about 190k miles on it, I plan on doing a teardown of the engine and maybe replacing all the bearings I'm not sure, I've never done this before. The engine is certainly getting a AFM and VVT delete so it will work in my swap, I hope to get 450-500hp out of it

Any advice on what I should replace or look for would be greatly appreciated

02 Data
Old 02-03-2024, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

You should really try to figure out why it's not running good before tearing it down, especially if you just bought it and don't know the history of it. If you have good pressure, does it even require a full tear down? Maybe do a compression test right off the bat?

Maybe it's just some other issue electrical or something else? In that case, just do the DOD AFM delete stuff and keep on truckin'.

If pressure is low, then yes, teardown. Can't really tell you what it needs. You need to inspect and measure stuff, then determine what needs machining or whatnot.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
You should really try to figure out why it's not running good before tearing it down, especially if you just bought it and don't know the history of it. If you have good pressure, does it even require a full tear down? Maybe do a compression test right off the bat?

Maybe it's just some other issue electrical or something else? In that case, just do the DOD AFM delete stuff and keep on truckin'.

If pressure is low, then yes, teardown. Can't really tell you what it needs. You need to inspect and measure stuff, then determine what needs machining or whatnot.
well yes my issue is finding what wrong, I have done some research and this issue seems to be a common thing with the L92s and the solution is basically anything.

I'm not sure if a single bad 02 sensor would cause something like this to happen, or oil issues with the VVT system, I have seen oil psi drop down to around 14 or so idle, I've read thats normal and I've also read that its low
Old 02-03-2024, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by pickledill3000
well yes my issue is finding what wrong, I have done some research and this issue seems to be a common thing with the L92s and the solution is basically anything.

I'm not sure if a single bad 02 sensor would cause something like this to happen, or oil issues with the VVT system, I have seen oil psi drop down to around 14 or so idle, I've read thats normal and I've also read that its low
Understood.

14 psi is a bit low for a non DOD/AFM engine. Definitely too low for DOD/AFM engine as those need higher pressure for the solenoids or however they work.

You can try deleting the AFM/DOD, but will probably depend how the cam looks. It may have material damaged and that's likely what may have had contributed to the low pressure? You won't know until you take it apart.

Is this a daily driver? I'm assuming it's in a truck/SUV? It's not like in a swapped vehicle, is it?
Old 02-03-2024, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Understood.

14 psi is a bit low for a non DOD/AFM engine. Definitely too low for DOD/AFM engine as those need higher pressure for the solenoids or however they work.

You can try deleting the AFM/DOD, but will probably depend how the cam looks. It may have material damaged and that's likely what may have had contributed to the low pressure? You won't know until you take it apart.

Is this a daily driver? I'm assuming it's in a truck/SUV? It's not like in a swapped vehicle, is it?
tbh I should of looked at the cam when I replaced the Cam sensor because i had issues for bank 1 being timing over advanced or system performance, however that code doesn't appear anymore so idk. I guess my only solution now is to tear the top end apart and see, I'd like to put the engine on a stand and run it but so its easier to fix but idk if its worth it with all the set up required. it is not in a daily driver, its a junk truck I bought that I am going to swap into my weekend truck

Last edited by pickledill3000; 02-03-2024 at 07:46 PM.