Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

6.2L - Removing VVT

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2L - Removing VVT

Can someone give up some information here. I've got a few of questions, but hardly any answers.
1) What parts are needed to delete the VVT.
year,make,model ore even part numbers for the parts list.
Is a new cam needed. I have read that new sprockets and timing cover is needed, but I'm unsure of the year to convert to.
2) Once converted, can it be controlled with a gen III computer (once progrogramed)?

That should get me started, I'm going to go back to the bone yard tomarrow to grab the motor. The escalade had a front impact and it damaged the front p/s bracket.. I'm hoping it didnt damage the block, I didnt stare at it too long. Didnt know what I was looking at liter wise. I also didnt see if it were 2wd or awd, either case I think im gona leave the transmission there.
thanks guys,
clint
Old 02-08-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you can remove vvt and still use the gen iv computer. you will probably need a new 3 bolt cam, sprocket, and tensioner.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

something like this...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neilownz
i think you can remove vvt and still use the gen iv computer. you will probably need a new 3 bolt cam, sprocket, and tensioner.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

something like this...
i was trying to keep the gen III computer if possible... it would greatly cut down on overhead. new pcm, new wire harness, time to mod harness and the ever so costly professional tune.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant you get the harness and computer from the vehicle fairly cheap? i dont know if its just the cam position sensor or if they changed harness plugs and stuff on the 6.2 sensors so people dont mix them. you could compare aftermarket painless wiring harnesses between those two applications maybe.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

yah I can probally get the harness and computer cheap enough, but then I'm sure to run into a problem with the 4l60e trans settings. I will wait and see what the man behind the counter says $$ when I stop by tomarrow.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The LS3 doesn't have VVT use its stuff. Should just be cam timing gear etc. Iwould put in a new cam as well.

You'll still have the 58x wheel crank trigger. You'll have to buy the converter box that makes it 24x. I guess the search is broke over on tech. Can't find the box. Thats the only way to control it with the Gen III PCM.

Why not get everything off the caddy and run the VVT

480hp and 454 torque.

Thttp://www.mastmotorsports.com/page.php?Category=Engineered%20Accessories&Section =Phaser%20Series%20Camshaft&id=31
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of this has been brought up before. You will need to swap out the timing cover for an LS2 cover and camshaft position sensor. Same with the timing gears (one bolt or three bolt cam gear depending on what cam you get). Extension harness for the knock sensors and camshaft position sensor. The Gen IV 58 tooth reluctor wheel will be the biggest hurdle, either pull the crank and change out the reluctor wheel or try one of the new Lingenfelter 58 to 24 tooth converters. If you change out the reluctor wheel for the 24-tooth model make sure to change the crankshaft position sensor. Once all the changes have been made the Gen III computer will work just fine.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Personally, I would also just nab the computer, harness, and tranny. It would be real nice if its a 2wd.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

as far a the reluctor wheel removal, the crank must be removed completely? is the gear pressed on? alldatapro.com didnt have any repair instructions on the how to portion.
thanks,
clint
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The crank has to come out! But the converter box will work as well. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C163

Not cheap! $250 bucks.

Quick Reply: 6.2L - Removing VVT