Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

60 lb injector swap on Radix 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

btw, CHArris, I was just a little curious at what the tables looked like.
Honest, I wasn't really planning on saving your tune for a future $$ venture

thanks for what you have posted though, look fwd to whatever else you have planned.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
and again let me reiterate, I am in no way taking a punch at you.....I just question your choice not to share the info you have gained from your sacrifice.
Here's the bottom line on the tune...

We set the injector flow rate to 71, had to tweak the VE table to exactly what HP tuner's Histogram said was required when we did the MAFless tuning. Anyone can do that based on their own combo. Then we plugged in the MAF again and it was trying to add a huge amount of fuel. We turned off the MAF then drove around SD logging MAF freqs. Then we rescaled the maf until it stopped adding fuel. Then we went back and had to do some target scaling to take care of a couple of frequencies that were still adding fuel after the global rescaling. Now since the factory H2 tune had a MAF scale different from every other truck platform I'd say that my specific MAF info is worthless to another user. Based on that judgement, I think it foolish to put a tune out ther in cyberspace that might end up hurting someone's engine. I won't be responsible for that.

I'd hope that others would understand this point. I've shared the general method. The specific details of the mafless tuning are pretty well documented here and on HP tuners forum. That will get a person there. That's how we go through it except we didn't have the general technique or order of operations consolidated into one post like I've done.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
btw, CHArris, I was just a little curious at what the tables looked like.
Honest, I wasn't really planning on saving your tune for a future $$ venture

thanks for what you have posted though, look fwd to whatever else you have planned.
I know you weren't planning to make dollars and it wouldn't make you any anyway because the tune would only work on my truck or one set up exactly like mine and I wouldn't buy it

Imagine your maf freq table scaled by like 35% and a little extra here and there in some freqs. Then imagine your VE table with a whole lot of 90's to 100's where you used to have low to mid 80's. There, now you have my tune.

I just gave the truck what the pcm and scaning software said it needed as I've described above.

The thought of my tuning someow majically or mistakenly being loaded into another H2 would be very scary and very dangerous. There are repositories out there online that collect tunes and don't necessarily detail the tune or scrutinize it before posting it for sharing. Not mine.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we were seeing 12.5. ideal Air/Fuel ratio for FI at Wide Open Throttle is 11.5-12.5. I think 11.3 is a little rich, and could be robbing you of power and washing the rings out over time. Not to mention the Cats do not like raw fuel.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:00 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by CHarris
I know you weren't planning to make dollars and it wouldn't make you any anyway because the tune would only work on my truck or one set up exactly like mine and I wouldn't buy it

Imagine your maf freq table scaled by like 35% and a little extra here and there in some freqs. Then imagine your VE table with a whole lot of 90's to 100's where you used to have low to mid 80's. There, now you have my tune.

I just gave the truck what the pcm and scaning software said it needed as I've described above.

The thought of my tuning someow majically or mistakenly being loaded into another H2 would be very scary and very dangerous. There are repositories out there online that collect tunes and don't necessarily detail the tune or scrutinize it before posting it for sharing. Not mine.
Next time I'm up in Bremerton teaching, you'll have to take me for a ride in the H2

I'll even let you buy me dinner at the Silver City Brewery
Old 05-08-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

I don't see any benefit to 60lb vs 42's for your setup. Even with exhaust and a cam you should be safe... Any benefit just might be from a better tune, not the increased injector size. Just my .03 cents.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
11 Second Club

I don't see any benefit to 60lb vs 42's for your setup. Even with exhaust and a cam you should be safe... Any benefit just might be from a better tune, not the increased injector size. Just my .03 cents.
Your kidding right?

I mean if low 12's AFR on the floor at 23millisec pulse at 6k rpm are your thing. Imagine, going for more boost and cam, put in 13's AFR easy WOT...ONE MORE DAMN TIME>>>>>>>42's do not work in the hummer if you have already modified it and your seeing these AFR's. That's why Cory is sharing his finds.....

Now on to more power if it were leaner....maybe on your guys rigs, but every combo is different. On some of my big tunes for super/turbo charged LT1's and LS1's I'v found serious problems with the 92 Octane in Washington...as far as holding timing (eg. early knock). Cory's H2 will have uncontrolled knock at anything leaner then 11.3 in the 4k to 5 k rpm region (at 8 psi boost, we also have to deal with the High IAT's because of the way the heat exchanger can fit on these rigs)..that's why we have to tune so rich..the extra timing we can use more than makes up for the low timing leaner combos tried....and yes we have tried about every combo to get this faster with the 8 psi.

Jimbob (tired of hearing 42's will work)
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by jimbob
Your kidding right?

I mean if low 12's AFR on the floor at 23millisec pulse at 6k rpm are your thing. Imagine, going for more boost and cam, put in 13's AFR easy WOT...ONE MORE DAMN TIME>>>>>>>42's do not work in the hummer if you have already modified it and your seeing these AFR's. That's why Cory is sharing his finds.....

Now on to more power if it were leaner....maybe on your guys riggs, but every combo is different. On some of my big tunes for super/turbo charged LT1's and LS1's I'v found serious problems with the 92 Octane in Washington...as far as holding timing (eg. early knock). Cory's H2 will have uncontroled knock at anything leaner then 11.3 in the 4k to 5 k rpm region (at 8 psi boost, we also have to deal with the High IAT's with the way the heat exchanger can fit on these riggs)..that's why we have to tune so rich..the extra timing we can use more than makes up for the low timing leaner combos tried....and yes we have tried about every combo to get this faster with the 8 psi.

Jimbob (tired of hearing 42's will work)
what about dinner?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Next time I'm up in Bremerton teaching, you'll have to take me for a ride in the H2 I'll even let you buy me dinner at the Silver City Brewery
Actually, were going there Saturday for Party....

Jimbob
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ripped427
It's a 2004 and up thing. You wouldn't, and clearly don't, understand. You say it "should be safe..." I'm telling you it is not. How would I have a better tune? A better tune than one that runs and drives and does PE mode with no issues whatsoever? Now I can safely go to a cam and a smaller pulley to go with it.

Quick Reply: 60 lb injector swap on Radix 2004