Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

8.1L swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Dampner installed using home made tool. The broken exhaust manifold bolt: I have soaked it in penetrating oil for 2 weeks, welded 6 nuts to it (one at a time), and still no luck. last Friday afternoon I started to drill it out and broke a drill bit off inside of it. grrr.... I'll get it.

Earlier this weekend, $2100 in Holley Terminator X Max LS showed up. I ordered it on Memorial day so it was $400 off. I am keeping DBW and also ordered a CAN to USB adapter for tuning (part number 558-443). The EFI part number is 550-927. That is for a 24 tooth reluctor wheel, Multec 2 injectors, DBW harness, the handheld display, and 4L80E control (whch also includes the trans harness). Since kit is for a Gen III LS I know I am going to also need a Gen III to Gen IV knock sensor harness (pretty easy to find for about $20) and I think I am going to need to extend the Cam sensor plug. It does come with an injector harness but I have to re-use the coil pack harnesses. Mine are in good shape so I am covered there.

The following 3 users liked this post by rang-a-stang:
Jeff71 (06-05-2024), kjc (06-05-2024), strutaeng (06-04-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 08:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, trying to remove LT1 exhaust manifold bolt in the car. Broke off an extractor in it and had weeks worth of penetrating oil. After 15 or more nuts I finally got one to stick.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shakenfake
If it makes you feel any better, trying to remove LT1 exhaust manifold bolt in the car. Broke off an extractor in it and had weeks worth of penetrating oil. After 15 or more nuts I finally got one to stick.
HAHAHAHA! Yep! Misery loves company!
shakenfake (06-05-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 207 Likes on 166 Posts

What welding process are you using? I prefer flux core welding for anything that really gets stressed, plus it's better for dirty, rusty and gunky steel. It's also a hotter process than mig, so it gets better fusion and the heat tends to break the threads better.

Last year I went to my brother's house to do something and he had like 3 broken manifold bolts on the LQ4 he was swapping into his OBS. I took my little chintzy Century inverter flux core because my 240V is too big. I remember one gave me trouble. It took me like 4-5 tries. Oh, and he only had a tiny tin can with rusty nuts, LoL.

Sometimes welding a washer first helps. If you can get uncoated nuts and washers, that's the better option. If you could rotate the engine so you are welding downward, even better. Maybe try heating the area around it with a propane torn as sort of a "pre-heating". That way more heat goes into the fusion instead of dissipating and getting sunk into the surrounding area.

Last edited by strutaeng; 06-05-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 03:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

I think I was doing mig but I may have been using flux.

Apparently the best way to do it is stick.

Also I was welding washers and I actually like doing it that way
Old 06-06-2024, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I was using flux core. At this point, it's pretty well drilled out so I think I just need to try to get that broken drill bit out, then EZout the rest. If that does not work, I'll drill a little more and tap it. I'll take all these hints though; I am SURE this will happen again!

We had a flood in my house this winter and we are just now getting the house put back together. Pretty much allllll my effort is focused on that at this point. That's also why you can see all the boxes in the background of all my pictures. Those are the things that go in my house and rebuilding stuff.
strutaeng (06-06-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 01:20 PM
Teching In

No pics but I am close to starting my install. I have been buying parts to prep for install.
A​​​​s far as my 8.1 goes I have bought (I did not buy all these from Summit, but am using their links):
Carter STS1 Carter Replacement Fuel Pump Strainers | Summit Racing For may pickup strainer. It's 100 Micron rated. I have a 10 Micron post pump filter on my shelf waiting to go on as well.
Walbro GSL392BX Walbro High-Pressure Inline Fuel Pumps | Summit Racing Should flow plenty of Fuel for this appplicatio: even if I continue to mod it. I prefer inline fuel pumps since they are so much easier to troubleshoot and replace. This part I did order from Summit. I know there are a lot of fake pumps out there but I am hoping by ordering from Summit I have a better chance of getting a real one. My fuel rail has a factory pressure regulator so I plan to run that. This should complete my fuel system other than the actual lines. I will run hard lines and Nylon lines. I used Nylon on my last Jeep install and loved it.
Chevrolet Performance 10379038 Chevrolet Performance Throttle Pedal Assemblies | Summit Racing Since it was recommended by Holley for the Terminator X Max LS DBW and is a factory part.
Summit Racing SUM-910124 Summit Racing™ Split Lock Bolt Kits | Summit Racing I bought crappy headers so I need better, locking bolts
Summit Racing SUM-G9011 Summit Racing™ Headers | Summit Racing I REALLY hope these headers generally fit. Once I have the engine in for the final time and I know these don't need any more "mods" they will get sent out for ceramic coating. I plan to run REMFLEX gaskets on them. I also need to add the O2 bung before the ceramic coating.

We plan to move back into our house tomorrow (after 8.5 months in an Airbnb) so I should be able to start wrenching in the next week or two. I won't have it running by the end of the summer like I wanted but hopefully by Thanksgiving.
The following 3 users liked this post by rang-a-stang:
Jeff71 (08-29-2024), silentbravo (08-28-2024), wretched73 (08-28-2024)