Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

80k to many miles for transgo kit???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 80k to many miles for transgo kit???

I talked to a wise tranny guy today...he's been at it a long time...and I since I have 80k on my 4L60e tranny he doesnt recommend putting the kit on becuz it the higher pressure could blow it. Is this true? Is there any safe way to put this kit on? All I want to do is this kit, efans, and a nelson tune. Don't wanna break anything though....
Old 06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Truck addict

i have 102K on mine and i am about to put one in. i'm not worried about anything. i just took out 80 percent tq management out. left some in for safety reasons. also, i do change my fluid regularly
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

The tranny guy said the higher pressure caused by the kit will find the weak spots in the tranny. :s
Old 06-25-2004, 10:19 PM
Truck addict

i can understand what he is saying. but if you aren't having 3 washers put in, then it should make the trans shift firmer and quicker. not hard and brutal. i think that is where people start breaking stuff. i just think it would help it vice hurt it as long as you aren't trying to make the truck chirp second while you idle down the driveway. lol.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, I want only one washer. Is there any way to get the pressure back to stock? Can Nelson tune, for example, lower the pressure?
Old 06-26-2004, 03:19 AM
TECH Regular

Question Transgo question?

I want a Transgo too, but how do washers affect the kit? More washers harder shifts, or less? I don't know anything about shift kits. Just that i want my truck to chirp second pretty good when i get down on it. Not when i'm rollin' thru a parkin' lot though. What settings do i need?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:48 AM
Launching!

The TransGo kit will actually prolong the life of the transmission. If it fails shortly after, the transmission was on its way out anyway, or the kit was not installed correctly. The Reprogramming kit fixes many of the factory quirks and will give the clutches and band the needed volume of oil. Its definatly recommended for any transmission.

It is also recommended that you have the pressures put back to stock in the PCM because the TransGo will bump them up as well. The kit will come with a .500" boost valve but it does not come with the Vette Servo, you need to purchase it seperatly.

The shims will adjust the 1-2 shift feel. Depending on what size you drill the 2nd clutch hole to, will depend on how many shims you use. If you drill it as per the instructions, you will probably need 1 or 2. If you go slightly larger, use NONE.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Transgo and Nelson Tune

I just got the Transgo kit+vette servo and a cooler put in about a month ago and I called Allen and told him what I was getting and he sent me a new tune to work with the mods. he pu the line pressure back to stock as recommended and removed my TM. Before the kit I had 60% Tm removed but Allen said that he would take it all out since I got the shift kit! I did only have 17k on my truck so I cant speak for having high mileage but It was a great combo(0 TM and Transgo) for my truck! Id do it!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
I just got the Transgo kit+vette servo and a cooler put in about a month ago and I called Allen and told him what I was getting and he sent me a new tune to work with the mods. he pu the line pressure back to stock as recommended and removed my TM. Before the kit I had 60% Tm removed but Allen said that he would take it all out since I got the shift kit! I did only have 17k on my truck so I cant speak for having high mileage but It was a great combo(0 TM and Transgo) for my truck! Id do it!
What B&M cooler did you get and how much you pay for it?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Launching!

When you shop for a cooler, get a stacked plate, self regulating cooler. Stacked plates are more efficient, but you need it to be self regulating so that it doesn't run too cool (yes, its possible).

Quick Reply: 80k to many miles for transgo kit???